Sunday, December 8, 2013

Snapshots of our weekend ...

It's been a nonstop 48 hours in my life, but I need to chronicle it while it is fresh so that I do not forget it! I picked the grandchildren up after work Friday evening and ... away we went! We enjoyed dinner together, and then Christopher got to FINALLY assemble his 10th birthday LEGO Star Wars model.
While I was shopping around this week for various items, I ran into a great deal at Schuler Books ... 1000 sheets of beautiful Origami paper all in one packet at a very reasonable price! Matthew was so pleased and got right to work on making me all kinds of cool animals. Some of them turned out so beautiful, we were able to hang them on my Christmas tree. I should have photographed them to show you, but ... I didn't! You will just have to take my word for it. 
Emma had asked me to teach her how to play CHESS, so I was able to pick up a Chess game this week as well. It's called "The No Stress Chess Game" and comes with instructional cards that teach the various moves of all your players. Emma and I got started right away. It turns out, however, that Emma has played Chess several times on her mama's computer and she was quite familiar with all of the moves!

All of the children enjoyed playing Chess this weekend. We're NOT very good players, however, and have a lot to learn about this very interesting game. 
Matthew really enjoyed my nativity set. Now I realize this set isn't anything special ... but what is so nice about it is that ... it isn't fragile ... it can't possibly be harmed in any way! So the children play and play with it. I wondered if these kiddos would be a little too old to play with this set because it's really more geared toward toddlers. But I think what's so great about it is that it allows the children to interact and really get into the story of Jesus being born.
Christopher is a very good LEGO
builder ... he never needs assistance,
follows the instructions carefully ... and LOVES it!



Here is Christopher's completed Star Wars LEGO model ... I think it's called Homing Spider Droid (yuck!). He was so pleased with it!

Our evening Bible story was about HOPE and waiting, a theme of Advent. We read the story of Simeon and Anna and how they longed for seeing the Messiah, and how God was so kind to them and allowed them to see baby Jesus. We read the story by candlelight, a three-pronged candle, and we talked about God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit as we watched the three flames grow into one. 

We got all ready for bed after our Bible story and tonight's Friday movie was: "The Secret Garden." I wasn't sure if the kiddos would like the story or not ... but they DID! Me too. I love it!
 It's gotten quite cold here in Michigan, so we ruled out doing a Saturday afternoon excursion and settled for more games and other things of interest. We read so many books together, most of them Christmas-themed. Some of them were silly like: "Merry Un-Christmas" about a town called Christmas city in the state of Texmas where it is Christmas 364 days a year ... and only ONE day isn't! Everyone who lives there looks forward to the ONE DAY that they get to go to school, get their mail, and do something other than open presents! We also laughed a lot at "Scaredy Squirrel prepares for Christmas" about a little Squirrel who has a list of safety rules for EVERYTHING. It was actually quite well written and we really enjoyed it. But I think our favorite might have been, "Mortimer's Christmas Manger" about a wee mouse who steals baby Jesus's manger and uses it for his own bed but then repents of his actions when he finds out who Jesus really is!

Emma enjoyed arranging my Advent
calendar ... just so!
Emma and I were looking for a craft to do, so we googled "cutting out paper snowflakes" and ended up watching a video on Youtube about how to make a 3-D snowflake. It was SUCH fun to make this! And Emma was wonderful at understanding how to put it all together. I'm not sure I could have done it without her!


Look at Emma's happy smile!
This is our 7-pointed star snowflake!
Emma made another one for herself so that she could
take it home and show it to her mama and grandma too.
 I got to see Kaity-girl for just a few minutes this weekend. She is a such a little sweetie!

These are NOT good pictures of her! But she is really on the move now, and it's hard to get a good shot of her! 

No comments: