Monday, January 19, 2015

24 hours of grandchildren ...

Sometimes it is difficult to journal our Friday night sleepovers … because nothing spectacular really happens! We don't usually go anywhere or do anything extraordinary. But this 24 hours of my week is (in a large part) the reason I am alive. These kiddos come over and we just live together, do life together--eat, do laundry, play games, build stuff, watch a movie, create art, make music … and this 24 hours was our usual routine!
Emma's beautiful long hair that
she is learning to take care of ...
 A few weeks ago I ordered several additional beginner piano books for the kiddos. Emma loves them. They were actually recommended to me by her music teacher from last year. 
 Emma decided KoKo wanted to play the piano too!
 Actually, several pieces in one of the books have a simple duet that can be played. Emma and I actually played several duets! It was SO much fun and I know Emma enjoyed it too. It is one of those memories I will always cherish … sitting next to this lovely granddaughter on my small piano bench and counting out the beats to each measure together and … playing the song! I will always remember the delight written all over Emma's face!
 Matthew and Christopher always do some serious playing back in the playroom. This weekend they had several huge battle scenarios in progress ...
 They are very creative with their play, and seem to utilize ALL the toys I have stored back in this little room. I'm so glad there is enough good stuff for them to enjoy!
 They combined LEGOs, Hotwheels track and micro machines to pretend a bunch of different stories.
 We continued our Bible story about creation. There was too much to cover in just one week! We reviewed last week's lesson about God's wonderful creation but then this week we learned more about what happened when Adam and Eve listened to Satan. We talked a lot about the consequences of sin. We had a good talk together.

It was actually MY turn to choose which movie we were going to watch Friday night; and since I was so extremely exhausted from my week, I knew I had to choose a movie that I would be interested in enough to stay awake! So I chose my very favorite love story and we watched the whole thing! Except poor tired Matthew fell asleep about 20 minutes into it. Christopher, who thought he would NOT like this movie, followed it all the way through and I think he enjoyed it very much! Emma LOVED it. This is my favorite movie rendition of this beautiful story.

I also taught the kiddos how to play FLINCH. We played a trial game and then we played a REAL game. I had forgotten how much fun that game can be! We also began the next book in our Narnia series: "Prince Caspian" but only read ONE chapter. We are also continuing reading through the book, "Absolutely Almost." I loved my time with the children this weekend. They are my precious treasures.

No comments: