Wednesday, August 24, 2022

August 22 My birthday

Monday:  Well ... this is it! The last year I can ever POSSIBLY claim not to be an OLD lady. Sigh. That's okay, though--because, at least for now, I am healthy and happy! My step-dad used to say that he was "able to sit up and take nourishment" and for that he was grateful. I can do more than just sit and eat (although there are times I do too much of both), so I am thankful too.

I wish I could post the little video Nanny Jen forwarded to me of Erin and Cal singing me "Happy Birthday." I've tried everything I possibly can to "share" it from my phone to my computer--no success. I can access it because I WAS able to get it to post on Facebook, but not to this blog. The video is super sweet of both children being prompted by Jen to sing the song. Their sweet voices and faces! SO precious.

Ruthanne and Terry were kind enough to make plans to come over from Detroit to spend the day with me. We met over at Buddy's Pizza for lunch and shopped at Baker Book House afterwards (where I purchased a brand new "activity rug" for my floor with colorful train tracks and roads, etc.--I had a coupon, so it was less expensive to buy it at Baker and it was my present to myself). We came to the Beach House by about 2:00 or so and played a good game of Scrabble (I even WON). We decided to drive north to Rockford to visit the toy store (I restrained myself and didn't spend a single penny), take a walk around the dam and eat dinner at the Rogue River Tavern--really REALLY good burgers! And curly fries! And Pepsi!

It was such a beautiful afternoon/evening to be outside. Rockford never disappoints.
I love the sound of the rushing water over the dam. Terry was explaining some interesting facts about how dams work in general ... but Terry is an engineer, so these kinds of things make perfect sense to him. !!



After walking around for awhile, we had dessert back at my place. I had some leftover chocolate-cream layer cake (from Sam's) to share with them. It was nearly 7pm before they left to return to Detroit--it surely was wonderful having them spend the day with me on my birthday--it could not have been a nicer day.

No comments: