Thursday, August 25, 2022

August 23 A New Chapter

Tuesday:  I've never been one who LOVES change ... SO ... I have super mixed feelings about this new chapter in my life. You see, Brendan and Aidan are returning to school--this year, FULL TIME: Brendan in the 5th grade and Aidan in Kindergarten--which means that neither one of them will be coming to my house on Tuesdays during the school year. My heart is so sad about it! They will change so much, so quickly--how will I even know them any more? 

Wee Callaghan, who has never been to my house without his parents--many reasons for this, but surely NOW is the time for Cal to spend time with his grandma. I picked Erin and Callaghan up at 11am from Miss Jen. Cal wasn't at all pleased about getting into my car--he typically takes a nap about this time of the morning and was clinging to Jen--she wisely provided a fruit snack to distract him from leaving her and coming to me. He did sleep all the way to my house and once he was HERE, he was pleased as can be with all of the toys--especially all of the little cars I have to play with. Here are some pictures:

Here is the new activity rug I purchased yesterday at Baker Book House--I had a $5 coupon, so I only had to pay $25 for it and it came with three little train cars too1 I added some track this morning and put the rest of the tracks away (since I have so many) ...

Cal was very happy to play with how I had it set up. He played with it most of the day that he was here--when he wasn't playing with all of the cars he kept finding in various places. I have a lot of Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars stashed around this place.

I wasn't sure what this little one would want to eat. Thankfully, he ate almost everything I offered to him. He ate most of an apple (all sliced up and peeled), lots of red grapes, some cauliflower straws (which sounds gross, but they are actually yummy), sliced watermelon, apple juice ... and for a mid-day snack, he ate pretzels and more fruit, followed by a bowl of ice cream. He was very pleased.
Erin was here too! She spent a lot of time coloring an Anna and Elsa picture at the table. Look at her cute little face. I love her to pieces. She missed Aidan today, I could tell.
Once Callaghan discovered that there was a CAT in the house, he was entirely focused on being with Belle. He pursued her in each and every room she ran to.

Belle has gotten more used to the children in the last few months. She doesn't hide nearly as much. Erin is very good with animals in general--not one bit squeamish about them. Callaghan was downright BOLD with Belle ...
Look at Belle's face! None of the kiddos have been THIS aggressive with her yet! She didn't scratch him, for which I was thankful.
Look at that little face ... Cal is SO PLEASED ... delighted in Belle.

Belle finally got tired of all of the touching and grabbing of little hands and ran to escape into her little triangle scratching place ...
Undaunted, Callaghan followed her and kept offering her toys to play with ...

He tried EVERYTHING--musical instruments, little animal toys, cars ...

Erin and I colored for awhile together. And do you see TWO pig puppets? I KNOW! The pig on the left is RRRamone (Paco's cousin) and Paco is on the right. RRRRamone has been visiting over here from Kaity's house. Originally, I purchased RRRRamone for Emma when she was a little girl because she loved Paco so much. Emma gave her pig to Kaity a few years ago and we named him RRRRamone (you have to roll the "R") and now it seems he has come to live with ... ME!

It was nearly 5:45 before I drove into the driveway at Dylan and Kelly's house. Both Erin and Cal were fast asleep. Sweeties. I stayed and ate pizza with them and played a little while but then left to come back here at about 7:30.

What did I miss about today? 

BRENDAN! AIDAN!  I asked them about their school day and Brendan smiled and said it was "Awesome", so I was happy to hear that. Aidan showed me TWO stamps (one on each hand) that he had earned for being such a good helper in class. He was beaming as he showed them to me. 

I missed reading to the kids today. Cal is a little bit too young for the stories we read from the library. I'm going to have to adjust the kind of books I check out--younger ones for little Cal. Aidan and Brendan enjoy a good story so much, and I just love reading aloud to them. I love Brendan's passion for learning new things. I love how he remembers details and tells me about other things he is learning. I missed Aidan's laughter and cracking up.

BUT ... all things change ... they always do! My heart aches from it, but I will adjust and pray that I can still have significant time with Brendan and Aidan in other ways. They will be moving in the next few weeks into their "new" house. Perhaps they will welcome me to play there with them! I surely hope so.

I did love having Callaghan today. I need to get to know this little pistol of a boy. He is a gem for sure. And ERIN is as sweet as she can be. I am surely blessed to be a grandma.

No comments: