Wednesday, August 31, 2022

August 31 ONE little shoe

Wednesday:  Sigh. When Cal and Erin were here yesterday, I managed to LOSE Cal's little shoes! When he came inside my house to play, he was wearing a cute little pair of shoes--I was listening to Erin telling me something important, and Cal went to play. A little later, I noticed that he was still wearing his shoes, so I removed them from him ... and that is the last time I remembered seeing them! Yikes.

I took the kiddos to Altitude--they both fell soundly asleep on our drive over there, but I remember waking them up (after taking a long drive down country roads as they napped) once we were in Altitude's parking lot and then I put their "special" socks on while they were sitting in the car, thinking that I would not have to keep track of their shoes while inside. After we were finishing playing there, I brought them back to my car (still wearing their socks) and then drove over to their house.

I found Erin's shoes right where I had left them in my car (on the floor near her carseat) but I couldn't locate Cal's shoes anywhere. I turned my car inside out (practically) and still ... NO SHOES!

I gave up and brought the kiddos inside to Dylan and Kelly, explaining that I couldn't find Cal's shoes anywhere. I concluded that I must have left them at MY house. Yikes. Dylan and Kelly were very understanding about it and I agreed to bring Cal's shoes to them once I located them at my house.

I returned home, looked in every nook and cranny of my Beach House ... but NO SHOES!

So ... I started thinking of the options: What could I have done with Cal's shoes? They obviously were NOT in my house, they were NOT in my car--so where else could they be?

I concluded (correctly) that when I was bringing Erin and Cal out to my car on our way to Altitude, I had a handful of stuff to put in the back of my car (my camera, the kids' bag, Erin's shoes, CAL'S shoes, my keys, snacks for the kids) and I must have put Cal's shoes on the roof of my car (Note to self: DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON THE ROOF OF YOUR CAR!). We drove out of my drive, but I had forgotten the kids' water bottles, so I turned around and parked in front of my house, ran inside to retrieve the water bottles, and then drove out the SIDE entrance of our park onto Chauncey Avenue, never remembering that Cal's little shoes were on the roof of my car.

Not remembering the "roof" placement, I was really vexed about having lost a pair of shoes for darling Cal. I was super annoyed about it!

Wednesday evening, I went for a walk in our neighborhood (with my camera) and intended to do the two mile circuit in and out of the park here. As I was walking along Chauncey Avenue (right where the driveway from Leisure Village exits out to Chauncey), I spied a little shoe and my first immediate thought was: "How on earth did a cute little shoe end up HERE?" and then immediately recognized it as CALLAGHAN'S shoe! Oh.my.word. 

I walked back to my house because I desperately needed to use the bathroom; but afterwards I went back outside, retraced my steps in the hopes of finding the other shoe. I went to every corner that I had turned thinking that turning was what caused the shoes to fall off the roof ... but ... I was unable to find the matching shoe.

When I look at this little shoe, I see it is very used--not at all NEW ... did Erin wear these a year or two ago? Perhaps Aidan too? All I know is that this little shoe is precious to me. I see those cute, chubby little legs running with these shoes on! Perhaps I will find the other shoe yet! I will keep hoping!

No comments: