Sunday, June 10, 2007

Have I got a surprise for you!

Talk about blended families!
Have I got a surprise for you!

Mr. Jones and I went to church service as usual this morning (the sermon was awesome!). We were headed to our LOGOS class, so we were in the lower level at Calvary Church. I really needed to find the Ladies' Room before going to class, so that was my mission! We were headed down the hallway and guess what? We saw Gail and Dan Storey!
The Storey's
(last summer at their house in Muskegon)
Gail and Dan were talking to -- Nana and Roy! Gail was hugging Roy! WHY?
Mom & Roy (April 2007)
Gail is Roy's niece!
What?!!
YES!
Roy is Gail's uncle!
Roy's brother is Gail's dad!

You have to picture what ensued thereafter!
I am screaming!
Cookie is looking bewildered!
Nana is completely confused!
Gail is laughing!
Dan and Mr. Jones are cracking up!
I am still screaming!
I think you could hear me screaming all the way to Austin!

So the stepbrother who I haven't met yet --
David --
is Gail's cousin!
So that means Gail is my step-cousin!

And Sabrina, Nick & Adam?
Gail is now your cousin, once removed!
And Scott and Kara are your second cousins!
(According to Mr. Jones, authority on all such matters)
The Muskegon South Breakwater Light
(the Storeys can walk from their house to the pier!)

As we were driving home from church, Mr. Jones looked at me and said, "It's a good thing you didn't get your wish!" What wish was that? Well, years ago (many many), Scott had come over to our house to say "hi" to Sabrina. They were in our front room joking around and having the best time. I looked at Mr. Jones and said, "I want that one!" He asked what I meant and I told him I wanted Scott for our Sabrina! They seemed to be such good friends! Sabrina, of course, told me in subsequent years that they always were good friends and nothing else had ever entered into it! Mr. Jones reminded me of my wish and said, with a very glum expression, "That would be very Arkansas!"
Oh my! Talk about blessings! When I met Gail years ago, I instantly loved her. That only happens now and then with me -- but I found in her such a beautiful person, someone who I connected with right away! Every time I have spent time with her, I have come away encouraged to keep walking with Jesus, comforted deep in my soul, stronger to face another day. How fitting that Roy, who is one of the nicest people I have ever met, should have Gail for his niece! I will be smiling for a long time about this . . .

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I e-mailed Kara and we both laughed! We think this is great! How fun! We always talked about how cool it would be to be related... now we are!