Saturday, June 9, 2007

An annoying misnomer

I don't like to be disagreeable, but
The AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY defines
hot flash as "a sudden brief sensation of heat
sometimes experienced during menopause."
Sudden? YES!
Brief? No. No. No. No. NO!
Sometimes experienced? Only if sometimes is 12x daily!
A picture says a thousand words!
THIS -- IS A HOT FLASH!

Perhaps it's badly named!
When I hear, hot flash
I think of something hot that is quickly over -- flash!
It sounds rather benign, harmless even . . . !
Burning at the stake . . .
Ssssslow rrrroasting . . .
Nuclear reactor meltdown . . .
Boiled alive . . .

Completely cooked . . .

Can one of you come up with a better phrase for this

extremely unpleasant phenomenon?

HOT FLASH is a cute, catchy little phrase,

but a totally annoying misnomer!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Kinda like stay at home mom... really... I don't know mnay moms who stay home all the time. In fact, all the SAHM that I know are the busiest moms I know!