Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Week in Review

It's been a rather quiet and uneventful week here at the Jones Family Junction. Nothing much interesting to post about, but I wanted to share our week with you anyway. I like this way of keeping in touch with everyone without having to write a whole bunch of letters or e-mails.

Worship at church was wonderful Sunday. Pastor Jim is starting a series on LIFE IN CHRIST from Paul's letter to the Colossians. Since it was Father's Day, the message was on God as Father from Colossians 1:1-23. God has qualified us to have an inheritance through Jesus. How did God do this? He RESCUED us from the power of darkness (v. 13) -- He set us free from sin! He REDEEMED us by purchasing us (v. 14). We learned that the term redeemed is a financial term, one used for the purchase of a slave. Christ rescued us by purchasing us, adopting us! And He RECONCILED us (v. 22) -- and reconcile has to do with relationship. He "joined us back together" -- He "bridged the gap" between God and man to an established relationship. SO God rescued us by buying us into a relationship with Him, all through Jesus! And then Pastor talked about God as a Father and compared that to human fathers. He said to be an earthly father, you must be a rescuer, a redeemer, and a reconciler with your children, your wife, your family. Service ended with The Lord's Prayer and it was beautiful. You can hear the sermon on-line if you want to.

I had a typical week at work, except we all received sad news there on Monday. A co-worker, Dr. Eastman's medical assistant (who I call "Mr. Craig" or "Sir Craig") learned that he is pretty seriously ill. (You met him years ago, Sabrina, and called him "Dr. Freeman") It's a long story, but suffice it to say that he went to the O.R. Monday morning hoping to have his stomach removed (cancer), but when they opened him up, they found the cancer was not just localized there; so they closed him up again. He has a very bleak prognosis. I think everyone at work was just overwhelmed with sadness for Craig and his family. I was reminded how we all have an appointment with death, an appointment to meet God. It is set and has been set since before the world was made -- "You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed." (Psalm 139:16) And another Scripture says: "It has been appointed unto men once to die, and after this the judgment." And since we do not know when that appointment is, it's pretty important to walk with the Lord in faith and obedience all the days of our lives. Please pray for Craig and his family.

I've been looking forward all this week to the weekend. My brother David and his wife, Carol, are driving up from Florida to meet Roy. I haven't seen my brother David in at least two years. He is my "baby brother" and I love him dearly. My sister, Ruthanne, is arriving tomorrow (Sunday) and everyone is meeting here at the homestead to have lunch (chicken enchiladas). We will visit for awhile, and then Ruthanne and I head up north for our fourth annual sisters' retreat -- just Ruthanne and I. We are staying in Manistee, but are going to explore around Ludington and then a little north of Manistee as well. There are two lighthouses in Ludington and one in Manistee. I really love lighthouses. So Ruthanne and I will walk the beaches, take pictures, shop, eat, and just enjoy each other until we come back to Grand Rapids Tuesday night -- which by the way is Mr. Jones and I 10th anniversary! I planned this weekend getaway with my sister and was completely oblivious to the date. Mr. Jones has had a good time razzing me about this for quite awhile. :(

No children played with these toys all week
I think our little animal magnets are lonely!
I KNOW our train table is!
Thomas, Percy, Donald and Molly have been sitting
in the yard all week, very quiet . . .
wishing Emma, Chris, Matthew, Jackson, Karis or Nathan
would come to play!
(Olivia plays too, but mostly just to entertain the little kids)

I've enjoyed reading everyone's blog this week -- kittens, fish, dogs, owies, baseball games, trains, grandchildren. Thanks for faithfully writing. Boppa says I am addicted to this blogging thing. Perhaps he is right! I fully accept his diagnosis . . . but I think it is because I love my family and this keeps me connected to all of you. I love the pictures you post and the stories you write. So until next time -- "I'm busy loving you" (as Rachel would say!)

1 comment:

Emily said...

We miss you too!!! I can't wait to be back in Michigan.