Friday, May 9, 2008

Back to Big Red

Since we were in Holland this afternoon, I couldn't drive back to Grand Rapids without seeing my lake! Yes ... Lake Michigan is MY lake. I love it like no other!
What I really wanted to do was to get some photographs of Big Red from the south side of the channel; in other words, the side opposite of Holland State Park. I wasn't sure which road to take in order to do that, so Mr. Jones and I picked up a map of Holland while we were at Windmill Island and found our route without any trouble! However, the road we needed (South Shore Drive) only goes so far and then it dead ends into a gate house with a posted guard ... and closed gates!
I rolled down my window at the gate and asked the guard if it was possible to get to Big Red on this side of the channel. He very kindly gave us a one-hour pass, opened the gate, showed us where to park, gave us a small map that showed the walking path that winds through the dunes, away from private property, and brings you right here to Big Red! It was really cold by the lake today and very windy ... but it was SO good to see my lake and get a few more pictures of the lighthouse, exactly as I wanted! I didn't even get lost or make one single wrong turn ... do you suppose that has anything to do with Mr. Jones navigating from the passenger seat?

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Wow! I had no idea you even could get near it on the south side... very cool pictures!