Monday, May 26, 2008

My own little Eden ...

If I had believed the weather reports for today, I never would have purchased our annuals this morning. It was supposed to be a rainy and stormy day, all day today; instead, it was practically perfect! Partly cloudy, mid-70's, nice and breezy! And this is Memorial Day, the day I always buy our annuals!
For the past two weeks, I have been digging, weeding, working the dirt, cutting back overgrown plants, transplanting some, working the dirt some more ... it's a wonderful process ...
Mr. Jones and I drove over to Kingma's this morning and picked out just a very few annuals to plant this year. We bought two hanging baskets, geranium, begonia, impatiens, dusty miller, alyssum, polka-dot-plants, tomato plants, beets, turnips, wildflower seed, some ferns ... my very favorite kind of shopping delight! I love walking through rows and rows, surrounded by the deep pinks, glorious yellows, vibrant purples ~ all sizes and shapes, exquisitely designed by God ...
I got each and every one of our purchases planted by mid-afternoon. And our lilac bushes are just starting to bloom ... not very fragrant yet ... but in a few days, they will be heavenly! Our yard has been kind of "wild" in the last few years, but this year I decided to get reaquainted with all of it's little forsaken corners. I'm determined to study up on perennial gardening! Years ago, my good friend, Marlene, gave me a good book on the subject that I need to read! We have a big enough place so that as the years go by, and I improve my gardening skills, I can make each area of the yard a special place of beauty.
"May your roots go down deep
into the soil of God's marvelous love."
EPHESIANS 3:17b (NLB)

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

What beautiful pictures of the flowers mom! I hope we can make a trip up north this summer to see them!

Emily said...

What are the purple ones?

Mom Jones said...

Emily: The purple flowers in the fourth picture are the lilacs just beginning to bloom on our bush in the front. The purple ones in that last picture, the very teensy blossoms, are alyssum. Unless you are wondering about the purplish leaves in that bottom picture ... those are coleus (I think). I love them all!

Sabrina: I hope you can come up this summer too!

Emily said...

We've seen so many lilac trees here. I love the smell of them. I hope to get one (after the house thing is done).