Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Moments 2008

It's been a nice Mother's Day, even though it's been cold (BRRR!) and rainy all day. We worshiped this morning and learned about three godly women from the Book of Acts ~ Eunice, Lois (Timothy's grandmother and mother) and Lydia. I didn't realize that Lydia was the first European convert to Christianity (at least the first one that was recorded in biblical history)! She was a wealthy business woman who came to faith in Christ through the Apostle Paul's ministry.

I had 15 beautiful children in my 3's class this morning and the class ran pretty smoothly. It's always a bit touch-and-go with that many little ones, but we manage to survive it each and every Sunday!

During third hour, we had the privilege of hearing an aviation missionary couple who are preparing to return to Papau New Guinea with their three children in six weeks. What a fascinating story they have of the great things God is going there in that country.

We invited Nana and Cookie over for dinner today. I made up a nice batch of lasagna yesterday that I just had to re-heat after church, cooked some delicious fresh green beans and almonds, made a yummy tossed salad and baked some garlic bread. Nana brought an apple pie (yum) and we all ate too much! Dylan joined us for dinner as well.

I asked Mr. Jones if he could try to get a good picture of my mother and I. Neither one of us like having our picture taken very much and these are not the greatest shots, but after cropping and manipulating and DELETING most of them, here are a few ...




I also received some very nice phone calls today. It was wonderful to hear Shane's voice and talk to him for awhile ... he has such a nice voice on the telephone. And I talked to Sabrina for a long time too. And guess who I heard from last night via e-mail? Jesse! He left the states Wednesday morning and was STILL not in Taji as of very late last night. He was, however, waiting for a helicopter flight from Baghdad to his base. He said his travels have been "pleasant and safe." That's good news for a mother's heart ...

The rest of the day has been rather quiet and mellow. Very nice. We worked hard in the yard the last few days and needed this day of rest ... how smart of God to make sure there was one day each week where we could just STOP, breathe deeply, think, worship, gather our strength, soak in His goodness ... mothers of young children, however, have much less rest and quietness no matter what day of the week it is, but I am praying that this Mother's Day was a good one for all of you!

3 comments:

Ruthanne said...

What great pictures! Don is a good photographer!
I like your new header! How in the world did you do that? I would like to have a header, but I don't have a clue how to do it! Hope you had a happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

so nice to get on your blog and read all about your family and how you are doing. i can just tell how much you love your grandchildren by what you write. aren't grandchildren great?! the pictures of you and mom were very nice. we are blessed to have added a wonderful godly young lady to our family. andrew chose a sweetie (actually I know that God choose her for andrew). keep blogging i love reading your writings and viewing your pictures. love carol

Mom Jones said...

Hi Carol! It's wonderful to hear from you, and thanks very much for your kind words. Yes, grandchildren are great ~ overwhelming how much you can love them! I hope all is well with your beautiful family. Could you possibly send me Andrew and Alison's address ... I didn't get their card sent on time.