Saturday, July 5, 2008

SKYPES!

A few days ago, Sabrina called us to say that she and Andrew had gotten a webcam for their computers, and did we know how to use it? Well, naturally, I didn't know a blessed thing about using a webcam and Mr. Jones wasn't home at the time! It's taken us a few days, but Mr. Jones uploaded some free software by the name of SKYPE and tonight, we talked to Sabrina and family on the computer!
There is an option that if you want to, you can take video pictures as you are talking ~ so we did! I'm not sure why, but some of them are very small pictures (below) and others are bigger.
We were even able to coax Olivia over to the computer and she was there when we snapped a few pictures. We apologize to her, though, because she really did not to have her picture taken. Usually, we try to respect that kind of request ~ especially in a granddaughter that we love so much!
Jackson was telling us about his American flag and the fireworks he saw last night in Houston while visiting his Uncle Nick. Isn't it very cool how this works? Long distance telephone conversations absolutely free, with the added pleasure of video. What great technology. I know we have done this a few times with Diana and the kids, and at Christmastime with Jesse in Iraq ~ but I think it was a different program because we had to type our messages instead of having audio present. It's very fun to hear each other talking, although when more than one person is speaking, it kind of messes up the sound. When Diana comes to town this week, we'll hook up with Sabrina again and get the cousins talking to each other for little awhile. What a wonderful way to bridge a more-than-thousand mile gap between our families. We blew kisses and Jackson and I gave each other a high-five right on the computer screen! I think I like this very much!

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

I love it! I am so glad that we all got it figured out and we can do this so we can actually talk and see each other! The kids love to call you guys and try to show you things through the cell phones- at least now you can actually see what they are showing you. So happy for technology that can help us bridge the gap!

Ruthanne said...

Hey Carol, My computer has a webcam built in - I just have to figure out how to use it - Terry said he would help me.