Friday, August 1, 2008

I see them everywhere ...

I put their straw cups and name mugs away
as I emptied the dishwasher this morning
On the countertop, there is Kool-aid and unopened drink boxes
In the family room,
I hear the train clock announcing the next arrival
but no one is listening
We’ve pushed the train table back against the wall
Thomas, Percy, Molly, Donald and Harold have been quiet all day.
The toys and books on the shelf have not been straightened …
I sliced up watermelon for dinner last night
they like theirs cut up in little chunks, no seeds please
lots of strawberries and especially purple grapes
remnants of pop tarts remain underneath the dining room table
and crayons, markers and colored pages still adorn the high chair ...
I listened again to our lullaby CD
such tender songs, so soft and precious
as I got the tumbled-up blankets in the spare room ready for laundry ...

Outside, I did some weeding this morning
right next to Emma’s unfinished giant turtle drawing
and the sidewalk chalk
my tools are near the children’s rakes inside the garage
tire tracks of toy trucks are in the driveway sand
an empty bottle of bubbles is outside on the back deck
Our step stool and potty seat are still in the corner of the bathroom
but no Matthew to stand or sit upon …
and three extra toothbrushes are in the holder by the sink
towels, still disheveled hang, but no little hands will use them today.
Three pair of flip flops, all in a row
on the rug in the front hallway
forgotten in all the packing …
I’ll mail them with Emma’s birthday box next week.
Perhaps in a few days the color will return to life
but for now, my heart is rather sad and a little bit bleak.


Kind Father, watch over my little ones
give them hearts to know You
as their Shepherd and Savior, Lord over everything they are
and comfort me today ...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol: Found myself at the store
yesterday looking at stuff to get
for the "kids", and things to mention
to my daughter. We've deflated the
air mattresses and hung up their new
pillows for next time. The little
pool is empty and back in the garage. I am still washing stuff and next
I'll tackle the crumbs. Odd the
quiet, huh.

Ruthanne said...

I decided not to write on my blog today - I spent the day with Matthew. I think I'll wait a few days - I don't know what to say to make you feel better! I guess I'll soon know what you are feeling when my granddaughter lives 11 hours away! Time and busyness help a little. Shari called and said that the doctor said "any time" - the baby is all in position and he didn't think it could be four more weeks. I'm excited, but sad too because I'll hardly get to see her! Talk to you via email.

Mom Jones said...

Hi Judy: So glad we could do this. Thanks again so very much for all you and Larry did to help make these 3 weeks possible ... I think you are pretty nice folk! :)

Hey sis! I'll be praying for Shari and Mark and your granddaughter's birth ... I thought she still had four weeks!

P.S. Sadness is an expected but unpleasant part of this long-distance grandparenting thing and it seems to get harder, instead of easier ... I don't think I will ever resign myself to it or get used to it ...

Sabrina said...

Mom- I don't know what to say but know that I am praying hard for you! Love Always, Your daughter Sabrina

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND..... GILES AND GRETA HAVE BEEN BACK IN PORTLAND FOR A MONTH.. AND I STILL CAN'T BRING MYSELF TO PUT AWAY SOME OF THEIR FAVORITE TOYS.... AM I SICK OR WHAT ?...THOOSE FIRST FEW LONELY DAYS ARE THE WORSE....... I WILL KEEP PRAYNG FOR YOU... CAROL... I LOVE READING UPDATES.... THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR HEART.. AND BITS.. AND PEICES.. OR YOUR WORLD.. YOU KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU. AND KNOW THAT I CARE...
A WALK... SOON?.. LV KAREN...