Friday, August 15, 2008

WHY must all good things come to an end?!

I woke up Wednesday morning knowing that this was the last full day of being with Ruthanne and enjoying time with her. Even though we haven't lived nearby each other in almost 40 years, we are a lot alike! Both of us are awed and blessed by the marvelous creations of God. We had a great time visiting new places Wednesday.
We drove over to see Point Betsie Lighthouse. I'm so glad we did! This was my favorite light of the trip. I couldn't take a bad picture of it!
The lighthouse is only open for public tours on the weekends ... the gate was locked! I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get close enough to get the angles I wanted for my photographs ... but I needn't have worried ...
It was a bit overcast Wednesday, but I like the mood it gives to these pictures ... a bit desolate and forlorn ...
" ... you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the LORD." Ephesians 5:8 NIV
I love the stonework on the front porch of the lighthouse ... isn't it beautiful?




We spent about an hour at Point Betsie. I loved every single minute of it ~ except Ruthanne had accidently left her camera back at the hotel, so I was sad that she wasn't able to take pictures here at this lovely spot.
From here, we drove up to Glen Haven and ended up at Glen Arbor to eat lunch and to do some shopping. I just have to show you the gorgeous flowers that were EVERYWHERE in Glen Arbor!




We drove for awhile back through the Sleeping Bear Dunes trying to find Pyramid Point ~ but it seems that there are no roads there ... only hiking trails ... very very steep ones! So we declined that and decided to find a beach instead!
We ended up back at Glen Arbor and just enjoyed some quiet time down by the water. It wasn't the best beach, however ... a little bit too stony.
Glen Arbor is a magnificently beautiful little town! There are a few bed and breakfasts that were so beautiful, they almost took our breath away!

Wouldn't you love to stay at a beautiful place like this? I know. It would probably cost an arm and a leg! But it's fun to look and dream ...


We drove back to Traverse City to enjoy the evening there. We walked down to the Bay and watched the boats for a little while ...
"LORD, you have brought light to my life; my God, you light up my darkness!" PSALM 18:28 NLT

After dark, we went back to the hotel and watched the Oympics for awhile. We played a few rounds of Quiddler, a short word game (cards) ~ neither of us had ever played before, so we learned to play it together. What a fun little game!
Since we hadn't really shopped very much in Traverse City, we decided to do that Thursday morning on our way out of town. What a great place to shop!

We ate lunch at a little green restaurant downtown that I can't for the life of me remember the name of! And then we shopped some more and then said good-bye to beautiful Lake Michigan. We were home in Grand Rapids by 4:00 and together with Mr. Jones, met mom and Roy for dinner. Whew! I'm exhausted from all of this vacationing! I'm very sorry to see it end. Sister time is wonderful and a bit of an adventure every time! Thanks, Ruthanne, for all of the great fellowship and the encouragement you are to me.
I wonder where we will go next year!?

No comments: