Sunday, March 16, 2014

March 14 and 15 at The Beach House ...

All three grandchildren were healthy enough to come and spend the night Friday. Always a busy bunch, they played before dinner, after dinner, and right up until bedtime! 
Thankfully, I have plenty of toys and activities around here to occupy their attention. My Hotwheels tracks, along with Matchbox and Hotwheel cars, get a LOT of mileage (!!) with their play. I'm so glad I kept these toys all these years! 


Christopher had a whole raceway going on my lighthouse rug. He and Matthew made up all kinds of games and scenarios throughout the weekend with these toys. 
Emma built a "pyramid" with my alphabet blocks, with ramps and roadways for the MicroMachines. She was quite pleased! 
I was able to check out quite a few interesting stories from the library last week. We read for probably an hour before dinner Friday night. Books like: "Someone for Ms. Sussman" (Patricia Polacco), "The TRUE Story of the 3 Little Pigs! By A. Wolf"(Jon Scieszka), "Olivia Goes to Venice" (Ian Falconer) ~ these were humorous stories. But we also read a few serious titles like: "Night Boat to Freedom" (Margo Theis Raven) and "Friend on Freedom River" (Gloria Whelan) ~ both stories of the Underground Railroad just prior to the Civil War. These were very well written and illustrated stories. I didn't know that the Detroit River had once been known as "Freedom River" … did you?

We also studied the story of Jesus raising his good friend, Lazarus, from the dead. I taught the story while the kiddos colored these illustrations. We had a long talk about the hope we have because of Jesus rising from the dead. The children asked very interesting questions, and it was good to study this story together.  
We had a few thawing-out days last week weather wise; so we ventured outside to work on breaking up the ice that had accumulated, and NOT melted, on my small driveway. 
 Look at the HUGE chunks of ice we were able to loosen up!
 The kiddos used them to make ICE CHAIRS … it took a LOT of work to break apart all of the ice and push the chunks uphill to the top of our snow piles!


It was refreshing to be outside, but we were pretty wet by the time we were finished playing. We had to throw everything in the washer and dryer while we did more indoor activities. Emma had been sick last weekend with a fever and flu-like symptoms … and late in the afternoon, I came down with what Emma had! I'm thankful that the grandchildren and I were able to finish out our time together while I was mostly healthy at least! I'm laying low today, hoping to be back to "normal" tomorrow!

1 comment:

Judy Hand said...

No, didn't know that about the Detroit River, Carol. But, very interesting to know about. Rest and feel better. Takes time.