Thursday, June 5, 2014

At the playground with Brendan

Last evening, Dylan and Kelly attended a special presentation about "poverty cure" and I got to be with Brendan while they were away. It had rained the majority of the day; but by evening, it had cleared up (YAY!) so that we were able to play outside. I asked Brendan if he wanted to go across the street to the playground and he answered, "Yes!" in that sweet and winsome voice of his.
So … the picture (above) cracks me up because … look at Brendan's expression! That furrowed brow! It's like he is saying, "Leave me be!" "Don't follow me!" "Do NOT take one more picture, grandma!" And I had only just begun!
Over at the playground last evening, there were a pair of teenaged boys doing fancy maneuvers with their skateboards, accompanied by very loud (and rather annoying) rap music. They looked as if they were maybe 15 years old and were quite skilled and very FAST on their boards. Brendan watched them closely and then he decided he would run and try to JUMP like they were doing on their boards, only he didn't have a board! 

So Brendan used this little bridge-way to run back and forth, back and forth, while trying to oppose gravity and lift himself skyward! 
He almost left the ground once … but not quite! He sure had a good time trying, though! 

 Brendan is a very exuberant child … isn't he just the BEST?
The photo (above), Brendan is trying to get up the courage to jump off the curb into the rather moist dirt (not quite mud, but almost) right below. He stood there for the longest time, contemplating his next move while watching those dare-devil teenagers fly past him jumping almost weightless through the air. He concentrated for a very long time and then … finally jumped off the curb and landed on both feet! Good job, Brendan! (I naturally missed that picture … I was too concerned about the teenagers getting too close to my little fellow and knocking him off his feet). 
Brendan showed me all his moves on these cool bars ... 
He was SO pleased ... 




But look! Brendan was able to grab both bars and use his arm strength to hoist his body UP! Wow! I was impressed! 
I don't know if Brendan was impressed with himself, but he sure was HAPPY! Life is Good, Grandma! 
We went over to the swings, but there were no "baby" swings (probably because this playground is an elementary school playground!), so I lifted him up to sit on a regular swing and he enjoyed himself just fine.
After our playground time, we walked back to Brendan's house where he spied my car. We ended up playing inside my car for quite awhile and then drove over to visit Nana for a few minutes too. She was glad to see us, but didn't want her picture taken.  
Brendan and Dylan enjoying an educational game
on their tablet … Brendan is completely confident using this
piece of technology!
I was so glad to get my weekly "fix" of cuddles, smiles, hugs, giggles, and all the great stuff that goes along with being Brendan's grandma. Yes, Life IS good!

No comments: