Sunday, December 21, 2014

Early presents ...

The grandchildren and I have gotten into the habit over the years of opening Christmas presents early. I think mostly because for years and years they lived in Texas and I had to travel to see them … and it was always BEFORE Christmas that the trip to Texas would take place. Now, however, they live right here in the same city with me … so I don't really have any excuse ...
 … except that I like to actually SEE them open the presents we have picked out together and I love to watch them enjoy them for a little while without all of the clutter of 100 other presents! 
There were no surprises in this little bunch of gifts. I have a budget that I stick closely to and the children know what that budget is … so we get on the internet together and they go shopping! That way, I know that what we have picked out is what they actually WANT. They are very good at doing this, both for their birthdays and for Christmas, and they stick to my budget without protest or complaint. 
The children have been sick on and off the last week. Emma was sick last week, even during her visit over here last Sunday, and yesterday (Saturday) Matthew was pretty sick with a fever, dizzy head, and achy body. But he was able to open his gifts ... 
… and give me nice smiles … even though he felt terrible.
I have to explain these bow and arrow sets for Chris and Emma. They are NERF (I think … or something similar), and both of them were definitely SURE they wanted these. We did some very good shopping on-line and saved ourselves $10 on each item because … we shopped around and found the exact same item cheaper on another site!
 Anyway, these LOOK a little scary, but they are quite harmless ...
Although I will say Christopher doesn't look very pleased at having Emma point this thing at him close-range! 
Matthew had chosen two sets of CITY LEGOS and he got busy assembling them right away. 
 Matthew is a very good builder. He follows the instructions perfectly, and even when he messes up, he can backtrack and amend his error and continue!
Christopher also got a LEGO city truck and got it all put together in a snap. 
Emma had asked for a loom like the one we've been making potholders with, so … voila! I loom and some loops for Emma Joy! Look at her happy face! 

 My gift to myself (!) was a new puppet; a small kitty … SO cute. She is a calico cat and her name is Ko-Ko. The children are in love with her!
Christopher also LOVED his gifts ... 
 These kiddos! They have gotten so grown up … they were quite thrilled with these … weapons!

 They decided to use my little gingerbread man for target practice (!) and kept this up for quite a long time. He managed to survive unscathed. Whew.
 Matthew, however, assembled both of his models and then … he was exhausted. He spent the rest of the time resting on the couch. I tucked him in nice and cozy and gave him lots of love throughout the afternoon. Poor little guy.



The kiddos were supposed to spend the night here with me; but Matthew's fever was not going down, so we watched a movie together, loaded their gifts to the trunk of my car, and then I drove them back to their house. I was sad they couldn't spend the night, but thankful that we got to enjoy these little gifts together anyway.

No comments: