Friday, May 19, 2023

May 16 Matt's Graduation

Tuesday Evening:  It took 45 minutes to get from Dylan and Kelly's house back to the Beach House--so I arrived at about 6:00--which gave me time to eat a peanut butter & jelly sandwich (toasted) and some cantaloupe and then I changed clothes, cleaned myself up a bit and headed over to the high school for Matt's graduation ceremony. I took about 200 pictures and it has taken a few days to go through those and decide which ones were worth editing, etc. 

Here are a few pictures of the ceremony; but more importantly, wonderful snapshots of Matthew John--who is a very handsome young man. Many of these pictures of him remind me of a young Matthew McConaughey--if you even know who that is ... an actor that I believe was named People Magazine most handsome hunk of the year (back in the day). Well, never mind about that silly stuff. 

I arrived at the high school with 8 minutes to spare. There wasn't any close parking, so I parked where I could squeeze in and walked the half mile to the stadium. I couldn't find the rest of the family, but I was able to get a very decent seat to the far right in the very front row. Excellent for taking pictures!

The picture of Matt (below)was taken during the "Processional" while "Pomp and Circumstance" was being played by the high school band ... I waited until I was sure Matt could see me waving at him and then I snapped it! I love this picture of him.




I cannot look at these photos without my heart aching ... it's not a bad kind of aching ... but just a longing kind of aching that wishes I knew this dear grandson better.
Mmm. I LOVE this picture of Matt.

Here is Matt as he meets the person processing from the opposite side of the field and then proceeds to his seat.
We were invited to stand and sing our National Anthem as the band played. There were many folk who were singing the words (me too) ...
The band then called all senior band members to join them for one last number ...
And the choir did the same thing ... (different song) ...
Mrs. Amanda Hite, the Comstock Park music teacher (she teaches music to K-6 and I think the middle school too) was invited to be the 2023 Commencement speaker. I thought she did a nice job of reminding the students of songs and rhymes they had learned while she taught them in their younger grades. She seems like a kind and gracious person.
The Salutatorian and Valedictorian then did their "addresses", and awards were also given (The Burl T. Hachmuth Award for outstanding male student and then the Frances Shew Award for the outstanding female student) and pretty soon it was time to "confer" the diplomas on these seniors. Here is Matt getting ready to receive his.

I think Matt is concerned that his tassel is correctly placed ...

When they announced "Matthew John Pahman" I yelped my head off and could hear others (family and friends) doing the same.
After they walked across the stage, they exited to the rear where an individual picture was taken of each graduate. Here is Matt walking back to his seat.
For some reason, I see my brother KEVIN in Matt in this picture below ... something about his expression. But you see, he sees me and knows I am trying to get a good picture of him. Yes! I see Kevin in his face SO MUCH here. Wow.


I am so thankful to have these pictures of Matt. I have so few otherwise! It's difficult to take a picture of someone you hardly EVER see! Ah, Matthew, you are a precious grandson.


Don't you LOVE these pictures of him? I surely do!



As the ceremony was coming to an end, I finally spied this little missy running around on the side lawn directly next to the stadium seating. My Kaity-Girl!
After the tassels were switched to the opposite side of their caps, there was some kind of confetti/glitter launched into the air ... can you see it?
I met up with Jesse and Emma up at the back of the stadium and we walked around the field to where the graduates would meet us for pictures. 
My dear Jesse and Matt ...
ME and Matt!
Matt on the phone trying to tell his mom where he was so that she could get some pictures too ...
Emma took a bunch of pictures too ... I can't wait to see them. Emma is very good with a camera. Perhaps she will share some of her pictures with me.
Dear Kaity and Matt ... I love this of Kaity!

Matt checking out his "fake" diploma ...

Ah ... HERE is Diana (she has had a pretty terrible 6 months with a bad brake in her leg and now has to have hardware put in place because it just isn't healing). Diana also went to the overnight party with the seniors following their graduation.


Emma and Matt ... love these two!

Emma is much prettier than these pictures show ... these just aren't good pictures of her!
I snapped a few pictures of the high school on my walk back to my car ...


This building was being built 20+ years ago when Jesse was just entering high school--I don't know the exact years, but Jesse would know. It's a nice building!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR GRADUATION, MATTHEW!!!



No comments: