Sunday, December 24, 2023

December 23 Good Times

Saturday Night:  So this was the night--FINALLY!! I have anticipated this Christmas celebration for almost 2 weeks now. I checked my calendar and then group texted the kids to see if tonight would be "free" to come over for dinner, gifts, and games. I was SO happy to hear back, almost immediately, from Emma stating that she and Koda would come. So thankful for this! Chris and Ella also responded positively !!! Matthew said he was working and wasn't positive he would be "out" in time to come; but as it turned out, he WAS able to come over and he also very kindly drove over to pick up Kaity from her dad's place on the way over. To have all four of these guys at my house together is a very rare thing--like only 1x per year now--so it is really special. 

I served "Orange Chicken" over chicken Rice A Roni, and I also made chicken enchiladas. I had a bunch of fruit and my fruit dip, and then we also had brownies and ice cream. Emma and Koda brought a very delicious chocolate cake too. 

Dinner was served at 5:00. Matt and Kaity arrived at 3:30, just exactly at the same time that I nearly BURNED the main course and I was in a bit of a panic about it. Thankfully, I caught it just in the nick of time and was able to fix it and still continue the recipe without too much hassle. Since I still had quite a bit of meal prep to do, Matt and Kaity played a bunch of games together. It was fun to listen to them laughing with each other.

They played a few rounds of "Guess Who?" I had forgotten I even HAD this game!

Chris and Ella, and then Emma and Koda arrived exactly at 5:00. Since all the food was ready, we ate right away.


So here is something I want you to know about Matthew by telling you what he did as the food was being served. I asked every one to grab their plate and come to the kitchen to load up. Matt waited until the very last person had filled up their plate and then he quietly asked me where my plate was--I told him I would get one pretty soon--but then he told me he would not fill his plate until I had filled mine. Perhaps that doesn't sound significant ... but it IS ... and it is very kind of him to consider others in this way. My heart was spoken to by this quiet way Matt has of loving, and I was so thankful.
We all ate until we were stuffed, and then it was time for gifts!
I wasn't able to photograph everyone opening their separate gifts, but it was fun to watch everyone and listen to their comments to each other.

Chris ended up getting TWO Madden '24's because he made ONE list and texted everyone with the same things. Emma and I ended up both buying this for Chris. He said he would probably pass one on to Tyler or figure out something else to do with it. I was relieved he liked his Nike socks (I wasn't sure, because I wasn't able to find any WHITE ones, only BLACK--but he assured me this was just fine).






Ella liked her candle and socks too that I got at Bath & Body Works. I love their stuff.
And I had picked up a nice-smelling bar of soap for Koda there too. He was very quiet--but he doesn't really know us very well yet, so I do not blame him.

Matthew appreciated his two LEGO models and calendar with super cars featured.


I love this picture of Matt. He's such a handsome young man!
Emma is growing out her bangs, so she was glad to get these headbands. I think it takes a lot of courage to change hair styles! Emma is pretty determined, so ... good for her. I also got her a pretty journal, some hair products, the Piano Guys "Family Christmas" album, and a shirt that was on her Wish List (but it hasn't been delivered yet).
I missed taking pictures of Kaity opening her Fitness watch and her "Slime" stuff. She really likes them though!
Then the games began! I knew they would all like the Tetris balancing game. Chris and Ella are SO competitive!!! They crack me up. These two have been "together" for THREE years now. It's quite remarkable actually because they began dating during Chris's junior year (I think) in high school. Ella is a year younger. Chris went away to college a year ago last fall and I just figured that their relationship would fall apart like most young couples who move away from each other. But this has not happened with them. I'm really glad they are together. I like Ella so much. They seem to have a very strong friendship and that is super important to any relationship that will last.

Emma and Koda were the first ones to leave; but again, Koda doesn't really know any of us and it was very kind of him to come. It was SO GOOD to see Emma. I had asked the Lord to have her visit not be "stiff" or unfriendly or awkward in any way. And do you know what? Emma was relaxed, happy, positive, kind, and ... I was so thankful she came over. I love her so much.
Ella and Kaity built for awhile with the MagnaTiles and look what Ella made! Isn't she darling? I really really like Ella. Why? Well ... I feel she is genuine. She is comfortable in her own skin. She speaks honestly. She has opinions and isn't afraid to speak them. Those are good qualities! 
Look at these two handsome young men! How on earth could they be this grown up?!?!?!

Everyone was getting a little weary, and it's such a busy time of year ... so I wasn't surprised that by about 8:45 everyone was ready to go home. I was just so happy to see all of these kids doing well, and all willing to spend a few hours with their grandma. Thank you, Lord, for answering every prayer about this evening. You are awesome.

No comments: