Sunday, August 26, 2007

Beautiful Boy

For our third Sunday in a row, Grandpa and I have had the privilege of spending time with Nathan Paul. His other grandparents, the McNeil's have had him full-time for the past few weeks and Grandpa McNeil has a new work schedule that leaves only Sunday afternoons to catch up on a little much-needed rest and relaxation and time with Grandma McNeil. So Nathan has come over to our house for a little while to play. It's kind of a win/win situation, where everyone is happy -- the best kind! It was a perfectly beautiful day today, so we decided to take a walk.
Nathan has a good grip on Grandpa's finger
and won't let go!
Until we told him he could run and play ...
He was amused with his shadow today, leaning down to
get a better look at it, trying to pick it up
(I enjoyed watching him so much, I didn't get a picture of him doing it!)
We had walked the entire distance of Scott Creek
(1/2 mile), and then noticed Nathan was getting a bit tired
So Grandpa lifted him way up and onto his shoulders
After walking for a block or so like this
Grandpa said, "Is Nathan falling asleep?"
And I looked up and there was Nathan
with his head bobbing up and down, eyes closed,
and ready to totter right off Grandpa's shoulders!
So we removed him from shoulders to arms
and he slept the rest of the walk home ...
We made a comfortable little spot in the front room
Nathan slept for a whole hour!
(Look at his brand new NIKE'S!)
Nathan woke up in time to eat a little something
before his grandparents came back to pick him up --
see the two cars on the high chair tray?
He was "VROOMING" and driving them the whole time he ate!

I think it's kind of regrettable that people can't be grandparents before they are parents. I'm serious! I know there is the saying, "If I'd known how much fun it was going to be, I would have had my grandchildren first." But I'm not just talking about the fun of it. There is something about being older and more mellow I think. Or perhaps because in most cases, grandparents only are temporary caregivers, so they can be rested and relaxed and not so stressed all the time. When I look back, it seemed I worried a lot about things that just are not that important really -- like what were the boys eating today, were they eating a balanced meal, were they getting enough protein, was I a good cook? But as a grandma, I just put out some fruit, some raw veggies and dip, juice, soft bread; and if that isn't eaten, ice cream works pretty well!

Look at his beautiful little face! "Children are a gift from the LORD;
they are a reward from him."
PSALM 127:3

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

What great pictures! I love the ones of Nathan sleeping... his face reminds me a little of Nick when he was littler.

JonesChronicles said...

It does me good to look at Nathan's sweet face. Thanks again for posting the pictures.