Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Never Been Unloved

I know this is an odd title for a birthday blog, but bear with me ... this is about love afterall. It's my birthday today and I have enjoyed the celebration of it very much. It actually started last evening. Mr. Jones had a special choir practice scheduled for tonight, so we decided to have my birthday dinner last night. I asked if we could go out to Grand Haven to eat and suggested that we pick up Mom and Cookie on our way out of town -- well, it isn't on the way, but who cares? It had been cloudy and gray all day, and actually had rained here in our part of Michigan the last five days or so. I had a "Plan B" in mind just in case it was raining last evening, but by the time we got out to the southwest side of Grand Rapids to pick up Mom and Roy, it was starting to brighten up.


Cookie's beautiful yard -- Mom's too!
Cookie's black-eyed Susans -- he says he plans to cut
these way back and is going to let
Mr. Jones and I have some!

By the time we drove to Grand Haven, the sky was a beautiful clear blue, the air was warm, the sun was bright and sparkled and danced off the water -- beautiful!
Not a good picture, I know -- but with the window
behind us, it's an impossible shot ...
I ordered and enjoyed the lake perch (my very favorite)
Bil-Mar Restaurant. GRAND HAVEN

We had a really enjoyable dinner, especially sharing it with Mom and Roy. It's always nice to be with them. They continue to enjoy wedding bliss! Mom is a little worried about Roy's health, though, as he is having some testing regarding his heart; so please pray for them. He looks great and says he feels just fine. He is always a blessing to be with.
This morning, I went to work as usual. RVO really enjoys celebrating birthdays. Everyone gets in on the fun. After working there for nearly 19 years, I have many dear friends who remembered it was my special day.
This is my partner and dear friend, Janice Marie
We share a tiny office space ...
it's a good thing we like each other!
She picked out a beautiful card for me
and this darling gardening bag!
I love it!
And this is Pam
This is not a good picture of either one of us
I hope she forgives me for posting it ...
But I love her
and her friendship is priceless ...
Pam asked me yesterday -- what was my favorite dessert?
I told her sticky, gooey, double chocolate
BROWNIES with thick fudge frosting!
And voila! See? Baked especially for me!
They were way yummy!
And if that wasn't enough, after all of that love and friendship at work, I had a "date" to meet my friend, Gail, for lunch today -- how nice was that? We arranged to meet at a little sandwich shop off of Post called Lickity Split. What a cute place! Did I take a picture of it or of my time with Gail? NO! I had my camera right with me, attached to my purse, and totally forgot to take any pictures -- the two of us had so much to catch up on and the time went by too quickly. But we have decided to meet for lunch on a more regular basis. And guess what? Gail is a 5th grade school teacher, and she said she would like to make Jesse her class project this year. Once I have an address for him, her 5th grade students can write letters to him and he will be their "class soldier" -- isn't that cool?
GAIL (Summer 2006)

After I got home, I received phone calls from almost all of my children, my sister and my brother as well, opened up cards and letters and messages of love from many of them too -- how nice all of it was! My mother gave me the newest book in the AD Chronicles series (I can't wait to read it!). Sabrina designed and made for me my very own mini-grandma brag book with beautiful pictures of all the grandchildren, AND a space to add one in for baby Nia as soon as she makes her appearance!
Some of the birthday stuff I received ...
(not the atlas ... I just had it out looking up
areas in the Middle East)
It was a good birthday. On the way to work this morning, I was listening to a very old Michael W. Smith album, thinking of Jesse and what this day means for him and his family, remembering how much he enjoys Michael W. Smith's music. When I heard this song again, it just spoke so clearly to me about what it means to be loved by the Lord ... so I am going to share the lyrics with you -- I would share the music as well, but I have no idea how to do that (how do I do that, Emily?)
I have been unfaithful
I have been unworthy
I have been unrighteous
And I have been unmerciful
I have been unreachable
I have been unteachable
I have been unwilling
And I have been undesirable
Chorus: Sometimes, I have been unwise
I've been undone by what I'm unsure of
But because of You, and all that You went through
I know that I have never been unloved
I have been unbroken
I have been unmended
I have been uneasy
And I've been unapproachable
I've been unemotional
I've been unexceptional
I've been undecided
And I have been unqualified
Chorus: Unaware, I have been unfair
I've been unfit for blessings from above
But even I can see the sacrifice You made for me
To show that I have never been unloved
"Never been unloved." Isn't that awesome? Isn't that the very heart of the Gospel? I have so much to be thankful for!

Grand Haven -- one of my very favorite spots on Earth!

"The Lord is our light and our protector.

He gives us grace and glory.
No good thing will the Lord withhold
from those who do what is right.
O, Lord Almighty!
Happy are those who trust in You!"
PSALM 84:11

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

The sixth book is out?!?! I can't wait to get my hands on it either then! I just reread the 5th Seal and as always loved every minute of it.

I am so glad that you had a great birthday today... Karis has one more present for you... check out my blog to find out what. Just for you she did... ;) I love you and Happy Birthday Again

JonesChronicles said...

Hi Mom...SO sorry that I had no idea today was your birthday. Happy Birthday! You'll forgive us for our oversight, we have our toes hanging over the cliff of anticipation for Nia Madelynn's arrival. Maybe we can make it up to you with something special when you visit us next month, OK? Love to you!

Thursday said...

Happy birthday, Carol! Glad it was a good one! :)