Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Five Wonderful Years

EMMA JOY IS FIVE TODAY!
August 16
Unless you are a grandma, and most of you who read this meager blog are not, you are not going to understand my indulgence here about this little girl. And that's okay! Before Emma was born, I would hear grandparents talk about their grandchildren and I just didn't get it. But then it was our turn. I was unwittingly in the birthing room on August 16, 2002 holding Grandma Hand's hand as we listened to Diana agonizing through her labor -- and then Emma was born, and I held her, and I just have never been the same since ... there is a title of a book by CS Lewis, "Surprised by Joy" and that's exactly it! I had no idea I could possibly love anyone this much.
Emma is about four months in this photo
Isn't she as cute as a button?
I was SO PROUD to show this picture off around the office!
"This is MY granddaughter! This is MY Emma Joy," I would boast ...
Emma's very first Easter dress and bonnet
I couldn't take my eyes off of her that day
Grandma's little doll baby!
At this stage in your life, we nicnamed you
"Little Bit"
and often referred to you as our "little bitty girl"
or our "pixie girl" ...
Here she is entertaining us on the piano
Emma started spending one afternoon each week
at our house when she was just about 20 months old ...
it was my very favorite day of the week
Tracing dolly with sidewalk chalk
Early Spring 2006
Here she is demonstrating her musical talents
to Piggie
(Did you know that PIGS are Emma's favorite animal?
I'm not sure she would think that if she saw a REAL pig --
she just has cute stuffed ones ...)
She was a little bit too young to jump rope
but pretending it was a snake was great fun ...

especially if Christopher was at the other end
pulling in the opposite direction!
I could look at this little face
forever, I think -- and never get tired of it
Emma is watching "The Polar Express"
holding on to her very own ticket ...
This is the picture I chose to enlarge
to hang with the other grandchildren pictures in our dining room
At her 4th birthday party
trying on her backpack from her mom and dad ...
The princess music box I bought her
because I knew she would love it ...
Blowing a little water whistle at her
party last year ...
Delighted with making bubbles at the
Children's Museum (Christmas 2006)
Doesn't she have a precious little face?
This is so totally Emma -- enjoying herself hugely at Grandma's
Making a very long sticker train ...
one of the last times Emma was at our house
Remember! That's a MICHIGAN license plate, Ems!
Emma has lost all of her "baby" look
and is quite a young lady now
This picture was taken just a few weeks ago
on our visit to Ft. Bliss ...
as we were leaving, Emma said, "But Gramma,
I will really miss you ... I really like you ... "
I really like you too, Emma
With love on your 5th birthday!
We hope your enjoy the foam beads for making jewelry,
the princess pillow,
your Emma stickers
and your very own kid camera!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Emma looks like a porcelin doll, the one with her looking off to the side and the woodsy background.

Happy Birthday Emma!!

Love, Uncle Adam & Aunt Emily

Sabrina said...

Happy Birthday Emma! Your Aunt Bree and Uncle Andrew, Olivia, Jackson, and Karis love you very much! We'll see you soon ok?