Monday, August 20, 2007

Nothing Can Separate Us

This is the week that Jesse leaves, unofficially of course, since I am not allowed to publish this sort of thing ... he is going off to war, stopping along the way in Kuwait for debriefing and other matters. I find I am very heavy-hearted as this day approaches ... all of us are ...

I've been thinking a lot about it, praying much for Jes and Di and the children; and as the date has gotten closer, I find I have gotten more and more teary-eyed and emotional. It's not that I didn't know it was coming -- it's just that it is here and I still can't believe it ...

But I am just his mother, you see. Yes! He is my firstborn son and I love him so very much. The heartache I feel is very hard to bear -- but I am not his wife -- he is not my daddy ... how much deeper the ache would be if he were.

Pastor Dobson was the guest speaker yesterday at Calvary Church. What a timely message he gave on, "Why Does God Allow So Much Suffering?" from Romans 8:18-39. Pastor Ed was diagnosed years ago with Lou Gehrig's disease, so he has been on a journey with this thing called suffering for quite awhile now. His youngest son, Daniel, was with him -- having just arrived with his National Guard unit this past Friday -- back safe and sound from Iraq! Thank you, Jesus. If you are interested in hearing pastor's message, click on to my link -- Great sermons -- and listen!

I love this passage of Scripture; it is so rich, so abundant in hope and promise -- but also so full of the reality of the harshness of this life and the suffering that accompanies it. And the question is asked:

"Can anything ever separate us from Christ's love?
Does it mean he no longer loves us
if we have trouble or calamity,
or are persecuted, or are hungry
or cold or in danger
or threatened with death?

... I am convinced
that nothing can ever separate us from his love.
Death can't
and life can't.
The angels can't,
and the demons can't.
Our fears for today,
or our worries about tomorrow,
and even the powers of hell
cannot keep God's love away!
Whether we are high above the sky
or in the deepest ocean

[or in Iraq, or El Paso]

Nothing in all creation
will ever be able to separate us
from the love of God
that is revealed in Christ Jesus, our Lord."
Romans 8:18-39




Jesse is leaving us. He is leaving Diana, Emma, Christopher and Matthew. He is going 6312 miles away from Grand Rapids, Michigan -- and you have to add another 1600 miles to see how far he is from El Paso. He is going to be gone for 15 months (minimum) -- do you know how many days that is? I won't tell you! That's really what is so hard -- the distance and the time.


I talked to Jesse last night. He is struggling with all of this stuff for his family. He knows what has to be done and he is trained to do it. He says he is ready and proud to serve his country. Do you know how proud we are of you, Jesse? Right now, this very minute?

Nothing can separate us -- NOTHING! Because you see, it's not about us, is it? There is a far bigger picture, a more present reality -- Immanuel, our Lord Jesus, is here WITH US! And nothing, not thousands of miles, not hundreds of days, not all of the sadness of this moment, can separate us from His love. And that's what will bind us all together through this.

Praying, Jesse and Diana, that you will know the peace of His sweet presence in these very difficult days ahead ... you are loved.

No comments: