Thursday, January 10, 2008

An Administrative Angel

I was on my way to exercise class yesterday morning when the sun started streaking through the clouds and I just had to pull over and get a few pictures. These were taken at VerSluis Park, where I'm sure I haven't visited in at least 30 years! There is a beautiful park there now with wonderful playground equipment and everything ~ great for grandchildren that I no longer have in town; ah, but we won't talk about that.

I had an appointment immediately after my class with Judy, the woman who is in charge of volunteers over at Calvary Church. I have been praying about what God wants me to do with some of my extra time now and decided I would offer one day per week to volunteer in whatever capacity, wherever He would lead. I have been interested in helping out over at Urban Family Ministries for some time; but Judy said the church had a more pressing need right there in the office. So next Tuesday morning I am going to show up and work closely with one of the administrative assistants and be her "angel" (that's what they call their office volunteers!) Since I have a lot of years of office experience, they said they would just plug me right in to do typing, copying, organizing, telephones and whatever else comes up. Tuesday is also their staff luncheon, and she said I would be welcome to join them! Judy is also going to check if there is any need over at Urban Family Ministries on Saturday nights, which is what they call "Super Saturday"where they bus in 250 inner city kids and play games in the gymnasium, have Bible studies, and feed all of them. I'm hoping to hear that they need some help as well ...
I used to think that if I HAD to have a job that earned money, a perfect one would be to be able to work at Calvary Church, in the office, typing up stuff I was really interested in! Now I get to do it! I think I'm going to like being an angel!

3 comments:

Emily said...

New hobby?

Mom Jones said...

Not exactly ... it's just that I am a bit in debt to the Lord, you see ~ and I figure He deserves a bit of my time and abilities, right? I also have an appointment next Wednesday p.m. to talk to the folk at Urban Family Ministries, so I hope I am needed there as well. Retirement doesn't mean that I own my time ... so before I get too comfortable doing my own thing, I figured I'd best get busy ... I will still be able to do the stuff I need and like to do around here as well!

Unknown said...

how cool! =)