Monday, January 28, 2008

I'm a Happy Woman!

It doesn't take much to make me happy really. Honest! I've been saying for many years that we kind of needed a new vacuum cleaner around here . . . you know, a vacuum that actually sucked up something it ran over instead of just pushing it around the carpet making me crazy. Last fall, I "upped" my complaints concerning our lack of a decent vacuum, answering all of Mr. Joneses inquiries as to my "proper" use of the one we possessed such as had I checked the bag lately? YES! I checked it a thousand times and made sure that a fresh, empty bag was installed. Did I mention that this particular vacuum was already 12 years old when we got married ten years ago and from Day One didn't pick up diddily-squat?! Somewhere around Thanksgiving, Mr. Jones began to take me seriously. Perhaps he overhead the terrible names I was calling our old machine as I attempted to clean the house with it!

Anyone who is vaguely familiar with Mr. Jones KNOWS that he will not buy anything without a sale, and it had better be a good sale. Several weeks ago, I noticed him pulling aside ads from the Sunday Press and looking them over. I waited to see what would happen ~ not without further complaints (some folk would call this nagging) about the total lack of performance of our vacuum. I'm telling you, it was SO pathetic, it couldn't even suck a crumb off the carpet!

The right sale finally came along ~ horray! We went over to Kohl's and picked up our brand new Hoover Windtunnel vacuum cleaner and I ran it for the first time today. It's one of those nice bagless, self-propelled machines -- okay, so it's not a Dyson, but it's pretty nice. I could not believe what was in the container after vacuuming just ONE room. YOW! The whole thing was full of dust and hair and other disgusting stuff. And the carpeting and area rug look beautiful now ~ I'm so pleased! No wonder we couldn't breathe around here . . .

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooooooooooh! Sounds nice. Happy vacuuming! =) (Loved this post).

Anonymous said...

The old one wasn't as old as Carol made it out to be. Also more than once, the bag was discovered to be over filled. "You mean you have to change the bag." I hope she remembers to empty the bagless dirt container.

Mom Jones said...

Isn't Grandpa Jones a grump?!

Diana said...

You are never going to believe this, I just replaced ours last week. Jesse and I had discussed it and we were going to get a Dyson with our taxes. My mom spoke to someone that sold vacuums and said they too end up with problems (still so new) and then cost way more to fix. So Jesse and I discussed it and landed on one of his favorite (mine too) makes. We got a Bissell Lift Off Pet:) I love it!

Sabrina said...

We got the Bissell Lift Off Pet one too even though we don't currently have any pets and I love it! I rememeber the first day I had it and I was so excited to use it but so digusted to see just how much was on my carpets. Glad to hear that the right sale finally came around for you!