Monday, January 14, 2008

Things I've been thinking about ...

The past few weeks has been jammed pack with things that have really provoked me. This is good! I've been anticipating the start of this year as a new beginning actually. I'm not sure why I have such a thick skull (or perhaps it's my heart that is hard), but I am beginning to understand something about my life finally. It's not mine! Not one single bit of it belongs to me.
When I seriously began to think about volunteering my time, it started out kind of with "what's the minimum I can do" (isn't that pathetic?) and still hang on to the rest of my life, ordering it in exactly the way I choose! There is a young couple at church that I have felt very indebted to because of their help to me many years ago. Whenever I thought of volunteer work, they came to mind; perhaps I could "pay back" a little of the debt I owed them, helping them out a few hours each week.

But then for some reason the word "debt" kept going around in my head. I began to see that the One I was really in debt to was the Lord. I've been reading through I Corinthians, and quite a few times Paul writes that I have been "bought with a high price." Purchased. Owned. Paid for at the high price of the death of Jesus. If I understand correctly, it means that my life is not my own.

I read a book last week called The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Dylan loaned it to me. It's one of those books you pick up and can't put back down. The writing is excellent. There is not a dull moment in the whole book. Dylan and I went and saw the movie on Friday. The movie was very true to the book, but it really couldn't give the details that the book was able to; so I naturally liked the book better. Most of the story takes place in Afghanistan, and so I felt as though I actually lived there for 2-3 days last week, learning about the history of that part of the world over the last 20 or so years. The main character, Amir, has a chance to "be good again" and it is his story as he looks back on his childhood in Afghanistan and then we enter his life as an adult and read about the difference he is able to make in the life of one young boy caught in the middle of the terrible and tragic reality of life in that country. Also, this week is the missionary conference at Calvary Church. Yesterday's worship was so amazing! I didn't want it to end! We met two missionary families up close in our class following the service. One couple serves in Kazakhstan and the other in Romania. They had such wonderful stories to tell of how God is working in their lives and in the people of these countries. Our key speaker yesterday, though, was a man by the name of Gary Haugen. He is the president and CEO of International Justice Mission (www.ijm.org). He is a lawyer and was the director of the United Nations genocide investigation in Rwanda back in the 90's. He began his prayer with these words: "Kind Father ..."

Addressing God as "Kind Father" is very provoking to me. Having had a confusing (at best) relationship with my dad, I have always struggled with calling on God as "Father"; and "Kind Father" is a very alien notion to me. But hearing this man pray -- the quiet confidence in his voice -- so trusting, so believing in God's great goodness and mercy -- was such a comfort to me. I purchased two of his books: Good News about Injustice; a Witness of Courage in a Hurting World and Terrify No More, a book about very young girls enslaved in forced prostitution around the world. IJM has actually led undercover operations and freed some of these little girls AND saw to it that the criminals who held them were brought to justice! If you want to hear his message, just click onto my link Great Sermons and hear him for yourself. I'm going to purchase the CD and listen to it weekly. He said so much that I need to pray and to think about ...

And then following the Lawrenson story (just google "cfhusband" and you'll find Nate's blog) these past few days has been a blessing that I have a hard time putting into words. Did you read about their story yet? It's incredible. What impacted me most was their unwavering confidence in the LORD -- no matter what the outcome -- they say this over and over again -- no matter what, they are going to trust Him. I love looking at the pictures they have posted of Gwyneth Rose, their one pound six ounce miracle daughter -- her tiny hands -- so perfectlly formed! I made her a card this morning and mailed it out to them! People from all over the world have been praying for them. So many lives have been impacted by the faith of this one family! I know it's a stretch to connect all of these thoughts ... but tomorrow I begin my life as a volunteer. I am praying that God will lead me all the way on this journey as I begin to serve others, something I should have been doing all along. I want to make a difference in this world. I want to shine His Light. I'll try to keep you up to date as I enter into this new adventure!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. I've had similarly complicated thoughts banging around in my head, drawing from all kinds of sources...mostly the Lawrenson's. Maybe one day soon I'll be able to gather enough to get them down to writing.

I'm sure they will be blessed by your card. They are always so beautiful -- it is a ministry itself, I think.

Mom Jones said...

Thanks for your kind words, Shelley. It's difficult for me to believe that something that brings me so much pleasure (making cards) could be a ministry. I'll have to think about it ...

Thursday said...

When I was a kid, I used to think that you would have everything figured out by the time you were FORTY, at least...my parents seemed to have it mostly together at the time, and it didn't seem like life could be all THAT tricky.... Now, of course, I am very glad that God keeps teaching His people new things even after forty!

Also, about ministry bringing pleasure, that reminds me of something that came up in my small group a few weeks ago. We were talking about spiritual gifts, and I was expressing your sorts of feelings--I said that I really loved working with kids, but I thought I enjoyed it too much for it to be really a GIFT. And the small group leader said, "Well, that's usually an evidence of strong giftedness."

I guess when I think about it, considering the God we serve, isn't it more of a stretch to think that serving Him could never ever have any enjoyment associated with it?