Monday, January 28, 2008

Grandpa Toys

Grandpa Jones has been into modeling trains his whole life. Saturday, a friend of his was having an Open House to let folk see his layout, so we joined up with some other train friends (Thom & Barb) and went out to Holland to see it.
The layout is of the Rio Grande Southern Railroad from Ridgeway in the north to Durango in the south, and it is modeled of the time periods between 1890 and 1952 on a typical mid-September day.
I was most impressed with the art work because this gentleman has done such an excellent job with mountains, trees, out-buildings, farm land, ranches, etc. He is a perfectionist and has such great detail in his work.
The trains are HO, narrow-gauge, and when a train is running, there are very cool sound-effects of the steam engines, the water filling the tenders, etc. It was great fun to walk around and see all of the little towns and farms, and of course, to watch Grandpa Jones.
The gentleman who has built this entire layout has pictures posted along the tracks of the real railroad out in Colorado. He has done an amazing job matching the colors and the landscape. It's really beautiful.
I think my favorite thing was the bridges. I would LOVE to be on a real train on this bridge, wouldn't you?
The layout is actually on two levels, but it's hard to see that in these pictures. But look how real the rocks, dirt, trees and mountains look!
I think Grandpa Jones has a little bit of work to do on his own layout, don't you?
I took a video of the train coming across this bridge. I've tried to upload it twice, but it is about a minute and a half long and doesn't seem to want to upload. I think I'll just have to save it for another day.
I had a lot of fun taking these pictures. Looking at them now, it's hard to believe this is only a model -- everything looks so real!



Pretty fancy toys these guys have! Perhaps one day our layout will look cool like this one does. Grandpa Jones certainly has the know-how and ability to do the building and the tracks and the trains, but I think he would need a little bit of help on the artistry . . .

1 comment:

Ruthanne said...

Hi Carol - I just love sets like this! I love the artwork! We saw a model of Jerusalem that was to scale and it was similar, but of course no train and different scenery. I also love model trains - the real ones are O.K., but it isn't fun waiting for one when driving - know what I mean? Sorry, Don!