Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The snow is so exhilerating!

GREETINGS FROM THE NORTH (Brrrrrrr!)
(that's for all you folk down SOUTH in Texas) ...
We got six more inches of snow overnight.
Almost all schools were closed (even Grand Rapids Public!)
I received a call at eight o'clock telling me no "angels"
were needed over at church because all of Tuesday's
Bible studies had been cancelled.
But I just could not stay inside on a day this beautiful!
Mr. Jones wasn't feeling well, so I decided to tackle
the snow plowing solo this morning.
It doesn't look like that much snow,
but we already had 6" on the ground and then
another half foot fell during the night.
It took me a full 20 minutes to get 1/4 down the driveway.
Our neighbor across the street, Matt,
has a snowplowing business;
but since Mr. Jones and I are young and healthy,
we do our 3-car driveway with shovels (i.e. the hard way).
However, when Matt backed his pickup into our driveway
this morning and asked if I would like a little assistance,
I certainly didn't turn him down!
90 seconds later, the driveway was totally clear!
Except I really wasn't ready to go inside yet . . .
the day was SO invigorating!
And there were beautiful pictures waiting to be taken!
This is our backyard ...
We are very fortunate to live in a subdivision
with lots of undeveloped land nearby . . .

makes it handy for those nice long walks I like to take.
I obey the "No Hunting" signs very well,
but the "No Tresspassing" signs I'm afraid are kind of ignored ...
In some places back in these woods,
the snow was two feet deep.
With my heavy hiking boots on, it made for
a good workout! It sure was prettier out here than
exercising on my stair-stepper in the basement!
Here is some beautiful Scripture to go along
with these pictures:
"God's voice thunders in marvelous ways;
He does great things beyond our understanding.

He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth . . . '
(He simply speaks . . . and it happens!)
"Out of the north he comes in golden splendor;
God comes in awesome majesty."

JOB 37:5-6 and verse 23

5 comments:

Diana said...

Snow is so beautiful! But that is about enough for me:) To see, not to deal:)

Mom Jones said...

Hi Diana! Yes, I agree. Walking in the white stuff is a much different thing than DRIVING in it. I can without the road hazzards! And I do remember how long it took to get three little boys all ready to go outside and play in it ... layers of clothes, snow pants, scarves, hats, mittens, boots -- everywhere! Hope you are enjoying the milder weather there in El Paso :)

Emily said...

I wouldn't mind being Michigan weather right now. It's been crazy cold here. Duluth dropped to - 30 something. And it's been - teens here. I'm also sick yet again.

Mom Jones said...

YOW! THAT'S COLD!!! I'm sorry to hear you are sick again ... I wouldn't think germs would be able to live in such frigid conditions! You take care and get better please. :)

Sabrina said...

Thanks for the great pictures mom! I miss the snow and MI! We've had relatively mild temps for our winter here which has been nice and it is suppose to stop drizzling sometime tomorrow moving into the weekend. No news yet, should hear tomorrow. Tired of the waiting game but still know that God is in control and everything will fall into place in His timing!

Feel better soon Emily! I'll try to give you a ring tomorrow or Saturday!