Thursday, January 3, 2008

My Aunt Jan's Nameless Peanut Butter Bars

A few weeks ago when I phoned my aunt Jan, requesting some of my Grandma Mary's cookie recipes, she also gave me one of her own favorite bar recipes to try. It sounded so easy and SO delicious, and I knew Mr. Jones would love it (because he loves peanut butter). I made several batches of these during the weeks of Christmas and even sent some off to Jesse in Iraq. I thought I would share the recipe with you so that you could get fat along with the rest of us ...

The bottom:
2 sticks of butter (no substitutes), melted
12 ounces of creamy peanut butter (1-1/2 cups)
4-1/2 cups of powdered sugar


The topping:
1 stick of butter (no substitutes), melted
1 pkg of chocolate chips (or a combination of several kinds of chips)


This is a completely no-bake recipe and very simply made ~ the very best kind for challenged cooks!

Melt two sticks of butter in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on power 2. I usually put mine in a deep mixing bowl, cover it with waxed paper or even the paper the butter was wrapped in so that it doesn't splatter all over my microwave. Then add the 12 ounces of creamy peanut butter until it is all mixed together. Gradually add to that the 4-1/2 cups of powdered sugar. It seems like it will never mix together, but it finally does! Spread this evenly in a 9 x 13 pan.

For the topping, melt another stick of butter ~ make sure it is completely melted and nice and hot, and then stir into it a package of chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk chocolate or white chocolate or any combination) until it is all melted together. Pour this on top of your peanut butter bottom and put it in a cool place to set for 3-4 hours. When it has set up, you can cut it into nice small pieces because it is SO rich and SO yummy that you really don't need a big piece. I'll tell you something ~ I made a ton of Christmas cookies this year, but this not-very-pretty one was everyone's favorite!

I hope you enjoy it as much as all of us did at our house ~ and I don't really hope you get fat, I was just teasing ...

1 comment:

Emily said...

Thanks for recipit! I'm sure Adam will love it.