Thursday, November 20, 2008

A great definition!

Sabrina and I have had some great telephone conversations while she is driving (Sabrina!) ... yesterday was no different. She called me late morning while she was running some errands. Among other things, we were talking about working with children's ministries at church, particularly three-year-olds, because that's what I do Sunday morning, Tuesday morning, and every other Thursday morning. I was telling her that we have been talking a lot about obedience and trying to help the children understand what that means. And then the topic of sin arose and Sabrina gave me the best definition of sin to use with little children! As she was telling it to me, I could hear Jackson (age 4) and Karis (not yet 3) in the back seat of their mini-van ... and in their sweet voices, they were saying this: "Sin is anything we THINK, SAY or DO that makes God unhappy." And then Karis said, "And we don't want to make God sad!" Isn't that precious?
Hmmm. How wonderful to teach small children that amazing truth! And how important to teach them what sin is so that some day they can turn from their sin and embrace the One who came to save them from it!

"Praise the LORD ... He forgives all my sins ... and surrounds me with love and tender mercies. He fills my life with good things!" PSALM 103:3-4 NLT

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I love that definition. I can't even take credit for it. As much as I may say it- it was the teenagers at Backyard Bible Club that taught it to Jackson, I reinforced it at home, and Jackson taught it to Karis (with my help a little too). I love our phone conversations too Mom! I will try to call sometime when I am not driving but I know when I do too that we'll be on the phone for an hour! I'd love every minute of it too!