Saturday, November 22, 2008

A happy surprise!

This post is sort of a confession, and I know I'm bad ... but let me explain! When Grandpa McNeil brought Nathan and Nia over to our house Thursday morning, he had a bag of wrapped presents from Nicolas and Rachel for Grandpa Jones and I. Grandpa Jones took the bag and laid it on the ironing board in the upstairs hallway, and I just never noticed it until about an hour ago when I needed to iron a piece of clothing (I only iron when I absolutely have to!). The bag was one of those that you can kind of see through and as I was moving it into the spare room so that I would remember to get it back out again for Christmas, I just couldn't help but notice these two letters ... because they were not wrapped!
I've been whining about not having an "N" for Nia all year (sorry about that) and then Lottie was born and that just doubled my sense of incompletion about our darling little letter train that Rachel started for us, I think when Nathan was born!
I even went to Michael's last week with the express purpose of purchasing a letter "N" as well as an "L" so that I could have a nine-grandchild train for our mantle instead of a seven-grandchild one. I wasn't sure about how I would paint those letters as I'm not real gifted in the painting department and I don't have those supplies here at home. And besides, Rachel has a real flair for this! I knew my letters would look kind of sickly next to hers!
When I got to Michael's over on Alpine, they told me they had not carried these little train letters for over a year at their location ... perhaps I could try over on 28th street! I was going to run over to Hobby Lobby that same day to see if they carried these letters, but had one too many errands to do and never got over there ~ and I hardly ever travel over to 28th street!
It's been very disconcerting to have a cute little train with only seven grandchildren represented for a year when we in fact had eight, and now nine! So anyway, I reached right in that bag ... yes I did! I grabbed out those two letters, loudly shouting "horray," and smiling a very huge SMILE! Grandpa Jones isn't home ... he's over at a train buddy's house for the day ... think how surprised and pleased he will be!
See all nine grandchildren cars? They just barely fit on a stretch of track! Grandpa Jones is, of course, the engine! And I am the caboose ... hmm ... I suppose that is appropriate! Perhaps you think I should have waited until Christmas, but I just couldn't! Thanks, Rachel, for making my day!

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

Glad that you finally got the letters you were missing even if it means you opened up the Christmas presents a little early! :)

The Farm Fresh Friends said...

I'm horrified! How COULD you take out the letters EARLY?? Actually, they weren't meant to be Christmas presents. They just got put in the bag with the Christmas presents--so you're okay after all!

loisgroat said...

Of course you could not wait! Some things should not be waited for - they should be delighted in immediately. This was one of those things.