Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I am not dismayed ...

The first week of October, I decided enough was enough! I was emotionally exhausted from listening to the political pundits and talking heads with all of their polls and predictions and gloom ... leaving for our Texas trip made it easy NOT to turn on the television or radio to receive the latest update. And even with reading the newspapers, I purposely avoided any articles that had anything at all to do with the upcoming election. Okay. I'll be honest. At about 9:35 pm last night, I did flick on the TV just to see how the election returns were going. I turned it back off at 9:45! What if this was my last night to be alive? I certainly didn't want to spend it all anguished with election returns, so I happily returned to my novel. I have a vague memory of Mr. Jones coming to bed, much later, and quietly telling me Senator McCain had given his concession speech and that Senator Obama was preparing to deliver his of victory. I tossed and turned throughout the night with a sense of unease and sadness; but with that, I remembered God's Word ...

"The LORD is my
LIGHT and my SALVATION ~


" ... so WHY should I be afraid?"


"The LORD protects me from danger ~

" ... so WHY should I tremble?" PSALM 27:1 NLT


" ... at the right time Christ will be
revealed from heaven
by the blessed and only
Almighty God,
the King of kings
and LORD of lords.
He alone can never die,
and He lives in LIGHT so brilliant
that no human can approach Him ...
to Him be honor and power forever. AMEN."
1 TIMOTHY 6:15-16 NLT


I realize this was a monumental election of grave importance, not only for our country but also for the world ... but it really pales when I remember the Kingdom of God, His unfailing love, His sure and tested promises ~ being part of that kingdom is such an amazing privilege.


"Yours, O LORD, is the greatness,
the power, the glory, the victory, and the majesty.
Everything in the heavens and on earth
is yours.
O LORD, and this is your kingdom.
We adore you as the one who is over all things.
Riches and honor come from
you alone,
for you RULE OVER EVERYTHING.
Power and might are in your hand,
and it is at your discretion
that people are made great and given strength."
1 CHRONICLES 29:11-12 NLT

2 comments:

Ruthanne said...

Thank you, Carol! I needed that as I have been feeling very downhearted about the election. I worked a precinct yesterday, which actually took my mind off of the actual outcome, but I still had hope for a different one. I have never felt so sad about an election before! Sad for a country that I love! But those verses say it all - thanks, again.

Sabrina said...

Love it Mom! Thank you for the reminder of those verses and where our hope and peace should be resting in.