Thursday, March 12, 2009

the joy of packing ...

Three days from now we leave for our spring Texas trip. I've actually been kind of packing for ... weeks! I've been throwing things into one of the spare rooms ... things I mustn't forget to bring with me!
It's all quite a mess right now ... but it's starting to come together. I have a "toy and game bag" all packed and ready to go complete with Checkers, puzzles, and various other favorite games from our stockpile around this house. I have a "book bag" almost completely packed, with our most favorite-loved children's books (lots and lots of piggy stories, our favorite children's Bible storybook, Frog and Toad, etc.). And I have an "art bag" full to the brim with stickers, crayons, water-color paints and brushes, coloring books, construction and other assorted paper, markers, stencils, ink and stampers, punches ... and you name it!
Lots and lots of warm weather clothing is ready to be folded into my suitcase ... but I have to include a little of everything for every kind of temperature we may possibly encounter ... for just because it might possibly be "spring" in Texas, and even though the spring equinox will occur while we are away, we will most assuredly are traveling north to Minnesota before coming home to Michigan and ... who knows ... more winter?
This crate is full to the brim with new cans of playdough and nice toys that go with it. When I had talked to Christopher on the phone a little over a week ago, I asked what he would like me to bring with me to El Paso ~ and without hesitation he requested "ALL of your playdough toys."
I love packing for a long trip. I'm finding that I'm just a bit obsessive/compulsive ... I like all of my ducks in a row I guess; but more than that, is the joy of anticipation of reunion with folks we love and miss so much. Back to packing ...

3 comments:

Emily said...

How exciting! Hello warmer weather!

Anonymous said...

Carol and Don: We hope you have
a great and safe trip. Sounds
like you are ready for it, and
I know how happy your children and
grandchildren will be to see you, and
you can't go wrong with all the
good things to do you have packed.
Would you please give your El Paso
gang hugs for us. God Bless.

Mom Jones said...

You can certainly count on us to give many hugs on your account! Thanks for your prayers for us as we travel. We'll keep the blog as up-to-date as we can so that you can see pictures and hear about the little ones.