Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Our afternoon on the USS Lexington

I just have a few minutes to show you some pictures of the USS Lexington which is docked at the harbor of Corpus Christi. It's a floating museum and it was very fun to see.
This is one of the many beautiful bridges we crossed in Corpus Christi, but I don't know the name of it. I took this picture from the flight deck of the USS Lexington.
I grew up in the Detroit area and we often boated on Lake Sinclair and the Detroit River. I used to love watching the huge ships that would pass through the shipping channels ... so I have always loved boats. I had never even been close to an aircraft carrier, however, so this was very cool.
There are five self-guided tours you can take, so we did all of them. There are too many pictures to post them all, so I've chosen just a few.
This is the junior officer berthing area ...
If you click on this photo, you'll be able to read the words more clearly ...


Only Texas gets its own knot ... go figure!
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
The entire ship is one display after another, mostly vintage WWII but some stuff prior to and after that time period. Lots of very interesting planes and war memorials too. We saw an IMAX film of flight training that was really well done.
This model plane caught my eye because my dad actually used to build smaller ones that he would spend months building and painting and perfecting ... only to take it outside for a flight and wreck it in 5 minutes!
More of the flight deck ... this is a Blue Angel.


The museum closed at 5:00 and we were finished seeing almost everything by then anyway. I'd tell you more about it, but I think I'm too tired! :) We left Corpus Christi right after that and drove all the way up to Sabrina's from there, arriving at about 9:30 last night. We've had a nice first day here in Austin ~ I'll show you pictures hopefully later on tonight.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Interesting museum