Saturday, June 27, 2009

My very favorite short story ... ever!

I love to read. I cannot remember NOT being able to read. For me, it is one of the highest forms of pleasure ... in my opinion, you just can't top a good story. When I was in the fourth grade, I wandered into the school library and picked out "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" and entered a fantasy world that I will never forget ~ for years I pretended that my bed could fly! But even so, I did not become a huge fan of fantasy writing in general. Historical fiction is usually my favorite kind of read, but I am digressing here.

I was introduced to George MacDonald (1824-1905) my freshman year in college. I had never even heard of this gentleman before in my life. A friend who lived across the hall from me in Miller Dormitory owned the two-volume set of short stories by George MacDonald, "The Gifts of the Child Christ," Fairy Tales and Stories for the Childlike, edited by Glenn Edward Sadler (WILLIAM B. EERDMANS PUBLISHING COMPANY, Grand Rapids, Michigan). She recommended that I begin reading in Volume II with "The Light Princess." She told me some of his stories were very weird, and definitely strange, but that this one was very humorous and easy to read. I read it, cracked up laughing, and fell in love with MacDonald. I was blown away by this man's genius, his wisdom, his HUGE heart. I later found out that he had written entire fantasy books and acquired quite a few of them for my personal library: "At the Back of the North Wind," "The Princess and the Goblin," "The Princess and Curdie," as well as "Phantastes and Lilith." These are AMAZING pieces of literature! C. S. Lewis called George MacDonald his mentor ... quite a statement from one of the best writers ... ever!

But not until I read "The Wise Woman, or The Lost Princess: A Double Story" (in Volume I) did I see my own self described in such detail ... how could George MacDonald possibly know what I was thinking? ... who I was deep inside? ... how could he know how foolish and stubborn and willful ... and sinful I was?! And at the same time, how could this man paint such a fabulous picture of our great and awesome forgiving Father and God? Such redemption and unfailing love in this story! Both the awful terror of the LORD and His loving heart are woven all throughout this "double story." It has been my favorite since the first time I read it almost 40 years ago now! I just re-read it last week and was SO convicted all over again ... and SO relieved that God is my Father. I would recommend this particular story for every single parent ~ or any folk who have the responsibility of rearing children. It is almost 100 pages (so it's NOT short), and almost every single page will bring you to your knees! George MacDonald was the father of 10 children (although not all 10 lived to be adults) and evidently knew and loved all kinds of children ... as well as all kinds of parents ... and grandparents too! This story is so convicting yet so challenging and cleansing at the same time. I want you to read it! I dare you to read it!

I checked on Amazon.com just a bit ago and this two-volume set is available for a variety of prices ... (anywhere from $10-$35 ... there is even a used one available at Baker Book House right here in Grand Rapids) or the one pictured above is a one-volume newer edition that has all 20 stories plus an extra one added in for good measure (also available at a range of prices). I hate to admit this, but I have yet to read ALL 20 of these stories ... some are just too weird for me ... too big of a stretch for my very small imagination. But I decided this week that I'm going to tackle them anyway. I don't want to miss out on a single word this man wrote. I will tell you that later in his life, he did write just regular fiction (nonfantasy). I have read some of it and haven't found even one that I like! C. S. Lewis says MacDonald was forced to write novels at that time due to his dire financial situation. But in many people's estimation, his fantasy work is unequaled.


"For my part," insisted George MacDonald, "I do not write for children, but for the childlike, whether of five, of fifty, or seventy-five."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Next time I'm at the library, I'll have to check for a copy! I love book recommendations. =)

Ruthanne O'Brien said...

Carol, I have never heard of these books! I love book recommendation, too. I will definitely try to find them and read some. Thanks!

Mom Jones said...

Hi Ruthanne and Shelley! I don't know if you will find MacDonald's SHORT stories at a library ... probably you could find his fantasy BOOKS such as "The Princess and the Goblin" and others ... but this particular short story is SO amazing and life-changing and mind boggling all at once ... it would completely delight you to read it! I know you would appreciate this man's heart for integrity and truth and God-likeness.

It's so nice to hear from you! I miss you both.