Friday, June 26, 2009

Our 12th anniversary ... postponed!

"I am the One who looks after you
and cares for you.
I am like a tree that is always green,
giving My fruit to you
all through the year."
HOSEA 14:8
Mr. Jones and I were married twelve years ago today, out on the back deck of Pastor Doug and Donna's house, only it was a Thursday night. We had plans to celebrate it in our usual fashion ... we go out to dinner some nice place ... and LAST year we went to Grand Haven to have dinner and walk the pier. Last week when we were in Grand Haven with the family, we walked by the pier where the Wind Dancer Schooner was docked and I decided it was high time to make plans to take a sail on it. I actually talked Mr. Jones into going with me! However, since our anniversary this year fell on a Friday and it is really crowded and crazy out at Grand Haven on a Friday night, we decided we would try to do the sailing perhaps next week Tuesday. Tonight, we were going to do the 2 for $20 Applebee's dinner (have you tried it? one HUGE appetizer and TWO completely delicious entrees for $20!) ... but we didn't get to celebrate tonight at all!

Five or six years ago, I started having some problems with vertigo ~ and even missed a few days of work per year because of these episodes of dizziness and nausea. Last fall, when I met my cousin Suzie out in Omaha and we talked nonstop for seven hours (!), I learned that several family members suffer from vertigo ~ Suzie called it Meniere's disease. I looked it up via the internet and did a self-diagnosis (usually unwise) ... except that when the disease is described, I have every single symptom ... except (thankfully) hearing loss. I had gone almost an entire year without one single episode, until yesterday afternoon. For the past 30 hours I have had severe vertigo, dizziness and extreme nausea. Eating has simply been out of the question! My symptoms are finally starting to resolve (whew!), I can now sit up without the entire world spinning furiously about me, and I even kept down a piece of toast and some strawberries.

So we have postponed our anniversary dinner for the time being. But next week, if the Lord allows, we are going to climb aboard that schooner and sail out of the channel and out into Lake Michigan ... I will take tons of pictures and even have someone take a photo of me and Mr. Jones. I'll show you then!

4 comments:

loisgroat said...

I am glad you are feeling better! I occasionally get this, also, with no warning, and I hate hate hate it. Worse than migraines. Fortunately it only happens to me every 4 or 5 years. I is a very strange and very miserable sensation.

Emily said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope the symptoms subside soon.

Sabrina said...

happy anniversary! sorry to hear about the vertigo flare-up. I hope you feel better today!

Carol said...

how weird, dave gets that too. great to see you last week. love, carol