Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Masked!

When I arrived at Spectrum this morning to visit Grandpa Roy, I knocked on his hospital room door, entered the room, and was rather surprised to see Nana wearing a surgical mask ... and the nurse had one on too! The RN glared at me, pointed to the hallway, and gave me directions as to where I could find a surgical mask to wear and demanded that I wear one upon entrance to Roy's room and thereafter until I exited the hospital! I was obedient, but I am terribly claustrophobic! To have both my nose and mouth covered is almost intolerable to me!
My mission to the hospital this morning was actually to pick Nana up and take her back to their house so that she could freshen up, change her clothes, and take care of some household business before we returned to the hospital. So that's exactly what we did. We did wear our masks as we walked through the hospital corridors and were SO glad to pitch them in the garbage bin right at the sliding doors to the parking garage.
This pretty picture (above) is hanging in the hallway right outside his room ... I like their choice of decor very much!

So, here is the update on Grandpa Roy. You'll remember me telling you about his low O2 levels yesterday. They had a full oxygen mask on him but then switched him over to a nasal cannula yesterday afternoon. However, when I saw him this morning, he was back in the full mask. I questioned the RN about it and she said his low O2 level required the full mask and that the nasal cannula was inadequate at this point. He had another x-ray this morning to monitor the pneumonia. He was looking in good spirits, though, and was alert and conversant. He is eating well. We asked the nurse if she had any idea how long his hospital stay would be. She said that until they can get his O2 levels "normal," they are not considering releasing him from the hospital ... afterall, breathing is pretty essential to life! Nana is staying close by him, sleeping at the hospital, and keeping on top of his medical condition. I told her I would post this update so that she would not have to call everyone. I will continue to go back and forth to the hospital and be what help I can be to Nana.

When I came home from the hospital this afternoon, I was greeted by surprise visitors at my house ... visitors from a VERY long distance ... but I am too weary to tell you about it or show you my pictures tonight ... it will have to wait until tomorrow!

1 comment:

Ruthanne said...

Hi Carol - I talked to Mom tonight at the hospital. She sounded pretty good - I heard Roy in the background talking to the nurse and he sounded kind of perky. Hope he does better soon! I forgot to tell Mom that Janice called me today at work to find out how Roy was doing also. Thanks for the update -keep me posted. I do have the phone number to Roy's room now, so I may call tomorrow and talk to Mom again. Love you!