Friday, October 16, 2009

Only in October ...

I love autumn ... once I'm convinced that summer is really over. Driving home from Minneapolis all day Monday, we had the prettiest drive ever I think. Saturday, we had awakened to SNOW on the ground that thankfully disappeared by noon. Snow will pretty much shake all thoughts of summer out of me! And the first few hours of our drive home to Michigan Monday morning was a drive through snow showers. But then the sky cleared and we had such a beautiful drive all the way to Michigan. I've been re-reading some of L.M. Montgomery's books and she describes it this way:
"October that year gathered up all the spilled sunshine of the summer and clad herself in it as a garment ... you may never know what scarlet and crimson really are until you see them in their perfection on an October hillside, under the unfathomable blue of an autumn sky. All the glow and radiance and joy at earth's heart seem to have broken loose in a splendid determination to express itself for once before the frost of winter chills her beating pulses."
(The Golden Road by L.M. Montgomery) I wish I could write like that, because I wouldn't need my camera so much if I could paint such beautiful pictures with words.

Since none of my pictures on the road turned out, once we were home I took a walk through the woods close by our house and snapped a few pictures along the way.
We had an unusually cold summer ... and I think that's why the autumn colors are so vivid and amazing this year.
I love to wear these colors, don't you?
I can't even pick a favorite!
And I love to shop at outside markets and just drink in the joy of the harvest, don't you?

I bought the sweetest of sweet corn right here the other day and Mr. Jones and I have enjoyed roasting it in the oven like Aunt Kathie did when we were in Ohio ... delicious!
" ... it is the LORD God that gives you bountiful harvests
and blesses all your work."
DEUT. 16:15
I am really thankful today that my computer survived being infected by no less than 106 viruses! How this can happen when I have anti-virus software on my computer is beyond me. Mr. Jones ran scans on it all morning and did his magic ... and I am now able to use my faithful old computer! Happiness! I'm going to get started on some cards that need designing. Have a happy October day!

4 comments:

Emily said...

I'm glad you're back online. Nice pics

Ruthanne said...

Yea!

loisgroat said...

Yay for Mr. Jones! I am so glad you are not computerless.

Unknown said...

Thoroughly enjoyable post. Gorgeous fall colors. I can't get enough of them. Love that you quoted L.M. Montgomery.

p.s. Welcome back =)