Monday, October 19, 2009

New friends ...


For the longest time now I've wanted to meet the beautiful horse that inhabits the blue-grey barn and feeds in the adjacent fields, not even a quarter mile from my house! I often walk up the road just to get a glimpse of him because he is just so ... perfect. There used to be two horses who lived here. I photographed them last winter as they were walking through a new snow looking for tufts of grass to eat. But then this spring, the sleek brown horse was gone, and just the tawny-colored one was left by himself. The other day I was driving down this street and glanced over and thought I saw another horse completely ...
This afternoon was mild and actually in the low 60's, so I wandered up the street to see if I was just imagining this other horse out in the field. As I walked by, the owner of the property was out on his tractor and he waved at me ... so I waved back. I've wanted to meet these folk for quite awhile! And then he motioned for me to come on over ... so I did! I walked through his front yard, as instructed, and came around to the side of the house to his beautiful little barn. He introduced himself as Lyle and then made introductions to his horses.
So this is Lyle with Dusty. We stood outside the fenced yard for awhile and got acquainted, but then Lyle said he was going inside to fetch a few carrots so that we could feed both Dusty and the new pony, Tuffy. And that's what we did! Lyle opened the gate and we went inside and gave them their carrots. Having never fed a horse before, I watched Lyle do it first! But then I took a turn, first with Dusty and then with Tuffy. Both of them are extremely people friendly and Lyle says I have made "friends for life."
This beautiful little creature is Buddy, who watches over all the activities on the property.
Lyle's wife of 56 years, Marilyn, was not around, so I didn't get to meet her. But I've been invited back with Mr. Jones to meet Marilyn and to ride the horses! Lyle told me his house and barn were built in 1905 and that he and his wife have lived here for over 30 years. He owns all of the land behind his property on both sides of Scott Creek ... the pretty woods that I venture to walk in during the winter months belong to him! He said I am welcome to walk there any time I please!
Both Dusty and Tuffy were intrigued by my camera. I was holding it and they kept sniffing my camera case that was hanging around my neck. Lyle asked me if I'd ever gotten this close to a horse before and I could honestly say I had not ~ not without a fence inbetween us at least! We talked to the horses for quite awhile. Tuffy's hair is softer than Dusty's and they like it very much if you rub them on their noses. They even let me give them a nice hug around the neck!

It turns out that Lyle has three daughters, 10 grandchildren, and 12 great-grandchildren. As we talked, Lyle freely mentioned God's goodness to his family throughout the years. I told him I was working on memorizing Ephesians, and then he promptly recited Psalm One and almost all of Isaiah 53 to me! Think how much fun it would be to bring the grandchildren here to visit these sweet animals! I'm so glad I took this little walk today and made some new friends.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

What a sweet new friend to have made! Can't wait to hear about you riding one of them.

loisgroat said...

Wait!! Wait!! Is their last name Putnam?? Joel's sister Harmony is married to their grandson, Deric Curtis!

Mom Jones said...

LOIS! What a small world! Yes, I think that is their last name, although Lyle only stated it once when he was introducing himself to me. He's the nicest fellow! And his horses are very friendly ... you should go and visit perhaps with your kiddos! :)