Sunday, December 6, 2009

Just a little peak at Festival ...

Calvary's Festival of Lights opened this weekend. I attended the matinee performance this afternoon and snapped a few photos so that you guys who used to be in this show each and every year throughout your childhood (!) could take just a little peak into what it was like this year ...
The show was titled "The Engagement" and was adapted from a musical and book Two from Galilee by Marjorie Holmes, Robert Sterling and Karla Worley. I thought the staging, costumes, music, soloists, and sound were the very best I have ever heard at Festival. Everyone did an excellent job. The matinee was sold out this afternoon ... I was glad I could sneak in to see it ... don't worry, I paid ~ and said I would just stand way in the back, completely out of the way. The ushers told me about some balcony seats that I could help myself to, so I did. I think the view from up in the balcony is the best anyway.
I love this beautiful tradition of Festival of Lights and the telling and retelling of the Christmas story. The magic of it never gets old for me ~ God showing up on earth in the Person of Jesus to rescue all of us from sin and sadness and hopelessness ... it's almost like it is too good to be true! That's why I never get tired of it.
I thought the most powerful number was Gloria in Excelsis Deo, sang as the angel announced the birth of Jesus. And the orchestra did an amazing job too ... but especially with The Little Drummer Boy ~ there was some wonderful and unusual percussion in that number ... sounds and rhythm that I have never heard before!
Don't you wish you could have seen it?
And who is this bearded guy?! Grandpa Jones! Instead of wearing their dress black, the choir this year was completely in first century costume ... and I think having a loft full of folk in costume really added an interesting dimension to the staging. So ... what do you think of Grandpa Jones's beard?!

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

Wow! I have never seen dad with a beard! He sure looks so different but it looks good too I think.

Emily said...

I'd like to see the show...but it ends before we get to Michigan. Maybe another year.

Sabrina said...

Is he still planning on keeping it until the kids come up to see him or no?

Mom Jones said...

I'm not sure of the answer to that question, Sabrina. He seems pretty anxious to ditch it because he says it is itchy (!). I'm not going to pressure him either way ... afterall, it's his face! :)