Friday, December 4, 2009

Lake effect ...

Look what we woke up to this morning in West Michigan! There was just light flurries last evening when Mr. Jones left the house for the final dress rehearsal for Festival of Lights. When he came home at 9:40 pm he asked me if I'd looked outside ... and I hadn't! I had been watching A Christmas Carol, my very favorite version of it (the 1938 film with Gene Lockhart), and never bothered to look outside.
We had been predicted 3-5" overnight but in our neck o' the woods, we got closer to 12". I am NOT exaggerating! And the tricky part is that underneath all that snow is a thin layer of ice. Every school district is closed throughout the whole city today and it is amazingly QUIET without all of the hustle and bustle of buses and cars coming and going ... look how beautiful our neighborhood looks!
I hiked back into the woods where the snow was knee deep and just ... well, I was filled with JOY at the beauty of it. Being a retiree has its benefits on a morning like this! There is nowhere I have to be unless I choose to be there!
I think it will be awhile before we get plowed out. Mr. Jones and I shoveled snow for about an hour this morning and just as we were running out of steam (and hadn't completed the driveway!) ... it began snowing all over again. Within 10 minutes, we had another inch! It is forecasted to snow on and off ... for the next week. Doesn't it make all of you Texans just terribly HOMESICK?!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Yes! It does make me completely homesick for Michigan! I showed Jackson and Karis the pictures and they both loved them! Then we counted down the days til we head north... Jackson said it was too long away still but I pointed out that it is less than Christmas and that made it a bit better. The pictures are beautiful Mom!