Sunday, May 30, 2010

Anna's wedding!

The real reason Grandpa Jones and I were in Chicago this weekend? We were invited to attend my cousin's daughter's wedding. Anna and Scott were engaged last summer ... Scott wrote his proposal to Anna in the Lake Michigan sand ... do you remember me telling you about it? Well I was there the very morning of the proposal! I didn't take any pictures of the wedding ceremony itself ... or for that matter, the wedding party ~ it was a huge group. Besides, they had a very nice photographer and I did not want to be obnoxious. My cousin, Beth, is married to a minister (Michael) and he married Anna and Scott. He gave probably the nicest wedding homily I have ever heard in my life. I wish I had a tape of it to play back once each month! It was such a good reminder of the gift of LOVE God has given us, and how much our marriages can reflect His grace and mercy.
I snapped this quick picture in the reception line. I loved Anna's dress! There is a dramatic story that goes along with it though. Can you believe that three days prior to the wedding, Anna and her mom went to the bridal shop to pick up her beautiful dress only to find out that the shop had inadvertently steamed the fabric right off the front layers of the dress?! Yikes. So this was an alternate dress that thankfully Anna liked even more than the first one she had picked out.
I have 18 cousins, most of whom I never see ... because they live far away. This is Sarah and her son, William. Sarah is the youngest of the grandchildren and I hardly know her. She looks so much like her mom (my aunt Mary Lou) who passed away a few years ago from ALS. Hopefully, she and all of her beautiful children are coming to the reunion in Detroit this summer.
This is my cousin, Andrea (Annie) and her husband, Michael ... truly two of the nicest people you could ever possibly meet. They are father and mother of the bride!
This is me standing next to my dearest of dear cousins, Suzie ... we were getting our bubbles ready to blow as Scott and Anna left the church ... not a good picture of either of us, but it's all I have!
And these two adorable boys (above) belong to my cousin, Mary (below). They were in the wedding, along with many of their other cousins, and they did such a nice job. And Nathan Paul played a classical number on the guitar at the reception ... very impressive!
This is me telling my cousin, Mary, how beautiful I think she is!
The gorgeous wedding cake ... these flowers match the ones in all of the bouquets ...
The reception was held at a golf/country club. The room was just beautiful. I was able to wander around and take all kinds of pictures of the place before everyone arrived. And I enjoy these kinds of pictures so much more than taking pictures of ... people!These are the cute flip-flops Anna wore at the reception in place of her high heeled wedding shoes ...
Mr. Jones and I sat at a table with my cousins, Lois and Julia, and their husbands. I haven't seen my cousin Julia in at least 10 years and I enjoyed visiting with her and her family so much. My aunt Jean (the beautiful woman standing in the picture) is grandmother to the bride. She was married to my favorite uncle (Paul), but he has been in heaven with the Lord now for close to 10 years (I think). And I always love to see Joel and Lois and their 8 incredible children. They live right here in town with us and we do not see them often enough!
I learned that Scott and Anna have known each other ... practically all of their lives! They were neighbors, attended the same grade school, and began dating their sophomore year of high school. Anna was a cheerleader and Scott a football player at the same high school. They showed cool pictures of all their proms and vacations that their families took together. Scott and Anna both just graduated from college about two weeks ago.
Well ... since you really do not know any of these folk ... enough pictures, right? I just wanted to share the highlights of our weekend. I will cherish memories of this sweet wedding, the great fun we all had at the reception, and look forward to many more family occasions to come!

1 comment:

loisgroat said...

Thank you for your delightful "remembry" of that fun day!