Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sunday sailing ...

Once per summer, our small group at church is invited out to Muskegon to go sailing on a friend's boat. And this last Sunday was THE DAY ... and a better day for sailing could not possibly be found! 
This is the channel from Muskegon Lake going out to Lake Michigan. Actually, Muskegon Lake is very well-known for its perfect sailing environment ... but in my opinion, nothing is as nice for sailing as the big Lake. 
 We passed by the South Pierhead light that sits in the harbor next to the coast guard station ... I love this little lighthouse so much! I have 100's of pictures of it ... in almost every season of the year!
There were so many beautiful sailboats everywhere ... I just love the majesty and wonder of a sailboat, don't you?

 The afternoon was picture-perfect ... it could not have been a nicer day for sailing ... look at the shimmer on the water, the sparkle of the sunlight! We had been a little bit concerned that the remnants of hurricane Isaac were going to make it this far north, and earlier in the week it was predicted that Isaac just might ruin our Sunday afternoon sailing plans ...



 But instead, we had clear blue skies and a nice brisk wind for sailing ...




We sailed southwards once we were out of the channel, and the wind just took us and it was ... relaxing and wonderful and exhilarating all at the same time!


See the Coast Guard station?  
Coming back into the marina ... there is something about a marina that is so peaceful to me. I took over 700 pictures while out on the lake, almost none of them were of my friends ... there were too many sailboats to photograph, and I completely forgot about the people!

2 comments:

Judy Hand said...

Looks amazing, so beautiful. Was a perfect day for sailing. I get seasick and some airsick. Don't like that about me, but it is just the way it is. Love the water tho.

Mom Jones said...

Oh no ... getting seasick and/or airsick is NOT FUN. I've never been seasick, but occasionally (rarely) I do experience a bit of nausea in the air ... when they put me on those tiny puddle jumpers from Grand Rapids all the way to Dallas ... if it encounters any turbulence whatsoever ... ouch! I don't like that feeling at all, Judy.