Sunday, January 28, 2018

These two ...

Every Thursday, late afternoon, I also get to see and play with (for just a little while) this little angel baby and his mama. So, if I haven't said it before, I will say it now (although I have done just that on Facebook and I meant every word). Kelly is one of the most wonderful mothers I have ever known.
What is so special about Kelly? I'll tell you! She is a wonderful blend of kindness and wisdom. AND added to that, she is truly understanding and patient. AND beyond that even, she is resourceful and optimistic. I love to watch her with the kiddos. She actually LISTENS to them. She watches physical cues and interprets them kindly. Instead of being a two-year-old in her responses to her little ones, SHE is actually AN ADULT. She is able to back off, survey what is really happening (say, for instance, when one of the boys are voicing displeasure) and then AFFIRM their feelings about the situation.
Instead of prohibiting their expression, she ENCOURAGES them to tell her how they feel. And do you know something? She actually CARES about how they FEEL. Amazing. 
 There! I've somewhat started to put into words why I admire her so much. I think the one word that stands out most when I think of Kelly is AFFIRMING. That's a real challenge to most people that I have known. To step outside of oneself and look at the other's perspective--whether little people or just people in general. It's a very good trait, don't you think? It helps me feel comfortable around her because even if she doesn't agree with me, she does not demean what I think or feel. 
So I FEEL truly blessed to know Kelly and I am super happy I get to be the grandma to these little boys.  PS  I think Dylan is pretty special too ... but this post isn't about him. :)

No comments: