Saturday, January 30, 2021

January 29 Kirk Park

Friday Evening:  I drove from Aman Park on Lake Michigan Drive, past Grand Valley State University, and all the way until Lake Michigan dead ends into ... Lake Michigan! There is a road there (!) but I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, you just turn left and drive about a mile and then you arrive at Kirk Park. I'll tell you more later ...

When I was hiking out at Aman Park, the sky was crystal clear. I was pretty sure the sunset out at the Lake would be super nice ... but as I drove towards the Lake, some low clouds moved in.

It has been 40+ years since I have been out here to Kirk Park. The walk from the parking lot to the Lake is long and not well lit. 

If I had been closer to where I parked, I would have stayed until dark--because sometimes the sun does fabulous stuff AFTER it actually sets--the colors get deep red--and perhaps this happened out here tonight as well ... but I didn't stay to find out.

The beach erosion here is really sad to see ... I remember a wide and beautiful sandy beach when Jim and I used to swim out here in the early years of our marriage. But now ... look! The dunes are SO washed away.

It's still a very pretty place ... but not the sunset I was hoping for.

There will be other winter sunsets to photograph ... I'll try to catch one of them!

No comments: