Friday, October 19, 2007

Big Red

Grandpa Jones and I began our day yesterday with a walk in the rain ... when we started out, it was just a light drizzle; but before we completed our 1.5 mile circuit, we were walking through quite a downpour! We had our raincoats on, but I found that mine was quite a bit less than completely water resistant. The rain stopped about mid-morning, and the sky settled into a yucky gray for the rest of the day.


I started thinking about going out to Holland to take some pictures of "Big Red" at about 11:00 when Mr. Jones announced that after his 2:00 departure for his Senior Singers choir practice on the southwest side of Grand Rapids, he was just going to go straight from there to his friend, Thom's, for an operating session of trains, and that I shouldn't expect him home before 11:30 (pm). I debated with myself about the weather, but so what if it was a gray day? It was unusually warm, and nice and breezy. Who could say what it would be like out at Lake Michigan?



One of the goals I had for October was to do a few "day trips" and take pictures of several lighthouses that I have no photos of. It was already the 18th, and I hadn't taken one single lighthouse picture! I had a some stuff I was in the middle of doing around the house, but by about 3:30 in the afternoon, I took off for Holland. I wasn't even exactly sure WHERE the lighthouse was, but I remembered seeing it from the State Park in Holland, and I thought I remembered where that was! Honestly, though, I haven't been to Holland State Park in over 20 years. When the boys were young, we often went to Kirk Park or to Tunnel Park, but found that the State park was often too crowded.



Well, the short 45 minute trip to Holland turned into a long 90 minute one for me. I guess I missed my exit; and before I knew it, I was at the Saugatuck/Douglas exit. I got off there, asked directions, turned around and eventually found Holland State Park. When I am driving somewhere alone, travel is ALWAYS a misadventure with me! However, I found that with each mile I drove outside of Grand Rapids, the clearer and bluer the sky became. I was listening to an old Avalon album that I hadn't heard in quite awhile and was really enjoying singing along ... that's how I missed my exit.



Ah! Is there anything like that first glimpse of Lake Michigan after you haven't seen it for awhile? I was ecstatic!
"The LORD reigns, let the earth be glad;
let the distant shores rejoice."
PSALM 97:1
I was very anxious to try out my Canon, and although I hadn't completely finished reading the manual(s), I figured I'd give it a try.
Look at how nicely the zoom works!
The entrance to Holland harbor
(the channel that links Lake Michigan
to Lake Macatawa)



I'm shooting directly into the sun here,
so it looks like it is dark outside -- it's only about 5:15 p.m.

Holland Harbor Light
"Big Red"

In the early 1850's, Dutch settlers requested that a channel be dug between Black Lake (what is now Lake Macatawa) and Lake Michigan to help expedite commerce and trade. It's a long story, but Congress had many delays in the appropriation of monies for the project, so the first channel was actually dug by hand by these early settlers. In 1899, the channel was relocated to where it is now.
The first lighthouse was built here in 1872 and it was a small wooden building that stood on an open platform on legs above the deck of the pier. On top was a lantern deck with a 10-window lantern room. But this was soon beaten down by the rough winds and seas. Eventually, the breakwater was built and the present lighthouse was built in 1907, installed with a steam powered fog signal. Two coal-fed Marine boilers produced steam to sound the 10" locomotive whistle during fog.
The original lighthouse was painted pale yellow with a deep maroon base; but in 1956 the Coast Guard painted it bright red to satisfy the requirement that a structure or light on the right side of any harbor entrance must be red -- hence, it has been nicknamed "Big Red." I don't like that nickname, for personal reasons. My 12th grade English teacher used to call me that. I wasn't BIG, but I was tall, and my hair was almost waist-length and VERY red. However, when he used to call me that, I felt HUGE! I don't think it was very kind of him, but I don't think he meant any real harm ...
The south light ...

Since it was such an amazingly warm October day (79 degrees at the lake shore!), there were all kinds of thrill-seekers out there yesterday ... look at these guys on the wave runners! Doesn't that look like so much fun? I didn't feel the water, but I'm thinking it was a lot less warm than the air ... these guys had body suits on.
This guy completely wiped out one second
after I shot this ...
The channel to Lake Macatawa ...
Can you see the kite?
The dunes here are fabulous!
I had no idea it was this beautiful at
Holland State Park, or I would have been a frequent visitor.
I took 150 pictures ...
but I've only posted 17, so that you won't get
too tired looking through this post ...
I bet there was a great sunset last night,
but since I got LOST on the way, I wanted
to do all my return driving in the daylight --
that way, I'd at least have a 50/50 chance of
making it back to Grand Rapids!
So I reluctantly left ...
As I was walking back to my car, I was
facing north up the shore and
look at these amazing clouds!
"Clouds and thick darkness surround him;
righteousness and justice are the foundation of his throne...
The heavens proclaim his righteousness,
and all the peoples see his glory!"
PSALM 97:2 and 6
The view, leaving Holland State Park
I made it home before dark, not without messing up and going THROUGH Zeeland, stopping to ask directions twice, etc. ... but next time I drive out there, I will be just fine! Those clouds were a precursor to the pretty intense storms that arrived at our house just an hour after I got home! So, mission accomplished! I now have photos of 9 lighthouses! I have shot South Haven, Grand Haven (duh!), Muskegon (although I'm not happy with those pictures), Whitehall (the White River Light Station), Ludington, Charlevoix, Manistee, and the Kilauea Point Lighthouse on Kauai! And Monday, Lord willing, Mr. Jones and I are going to St. Joseph with Tom and Judy for their anniversary and another lighthouse! There is no guarantee of the weather on Monday, so I am really thankful I got these pictures yesterday. I just seem to have a love affair with lighthouses -- they make such beautiful cards -- there is so much imagery in Scripture about light and darkness -- wonderful truth, so aptly illustrated by a simple lighthouse! Endless possibilities!
"Light is shed upon the righteous
and joy on the upright in heart.
Rejoice in the LORD, you who are righteous,
and praise HIS HOLY NAME!" PSALM 97:11,12

3 comments:

Thursday said...

I have a poor sense of direction, but I have found that as long as I am not driving on a schedule I can generally relax in the lostness. I need to grow in that...being calm while not knowing just where I am or exactly where to go next!

Mom Jones said...

"Relax in the lostness." I like that! :) I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunity in the future to try to put that into practice!

Anonymous said...

Both of you sound as if you are in a fog.