Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Love of Friends

Today is one of those days where I wish with all of my heart that I had been given the gift of words, the gift of writing -- you know, being able to describe events to you so that you could experience it right with me; or tell you about deep feelings, so that you could know my heart. I am full of joy today and want to tell you about it, but I will fail miserably in the effort.

All week long I had been preparing our house for a gathering of our LOGOS class. We had all agreed to meet at the Joneses to "break bread together" and so, I had a lot of work to do! I had forgotten how much I LOVE to just tinker around the house, cleaning floors and furniture, arranging each room, making sure everything was cozy and comfortable. This is one of the first times in years that I could do that at my leisure. It was heavenly! And the baking! I baked sugar cookies and decorated them like I hadn't done in years. I baked breads and made special veggie dips and bean dips -- oh, and a pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting (yum!) -- I LOVE being in the kitchen -- I LOVE the anticipation of hosting an event at MY house!
One of the regular families in our class
has small children -- so the family room was ready!
I even got out the brand new floor rug
I purchased at the IKEA in Houston
with all of the Matchbox cars (and a few new ones)
so the little kids could play ...
I finished my "Scripture pictures"
and got them hanging where I wanted them ...
These are some of the sugar cookies ...
the pretty leaf ones are kind of covered up
by the pumpkins --
but I made ghosts, 3 sizes of pumpkins,
swans, lighthouses, apples,
and 2 kinds of leaves!
Grandpa made a big pot of delicious chili!
We got the table ready for our 5:00 dinner ...
Nate and Christy and their 3 kids showed up first ...
but I had the camera set on landscape
and every one of the pictures of the kids
blurred beyond recognition!
This picture was somewhat OK.
That's Nate (the young dad) in the rocker
and Catherine (6) is playing trains ...
Nigel, Christie and Angela
Nigel and I even played a game of chess
on our famous Masi warrior chess set!
Nigel is one of the teachers of our LOGOS class.
He has his doctorate in micro-biology (I think!) ...
Guess who won the game?
(Notice my body language -- that should give you a hint!)
Gene and Michelle
They are very involved in Urban Family Ministries
and do a lot ministry with inner city children ...
Nigel and Angela
Nigel is from Great Britain and Angela is from Germany
Angela teaches the Wednesday a.m. exercise class I have joined --
I love Angela like a sister -- she is so precious,
I love her heart.
Nigel has his Phd but I didn't even know that about
him until recently. He doesn't flaunt his "knowledge".
He is one of the most humble people I know.
Our LOGOS class is a small class -- about seven or eight couples come on a regular basis. Many were out of town this past weekend and were unable to come on over. Plus, our phone line was "down" all day yesterday, so we couldn't make or receive any calls! Everyone who came, brought a dish to pass. The food was good. The children were fun. Our toys were played with! Last night was comfortable and nice, special and close. These are good friends. I love to sit and listen to the conversation. I love to interact with them and share the good things of the Lord with them. I feel very blessed to have these folk be part of my life.
I was sitting next to a young girl in church this morning whom I had never met before. She was there with her smiling-faced, white-haired grandmother, flanked on the other side by her small grandson. We sang, "Shout to the North" that great song about Jesus being the Savior to all and as we sang, this young girl was "signing" the words. She was so beautiful to watch. Her face! The joy! She was not deaf, she just learned how to "sign" and decided to do it through each song. I love the "sign" for Jesus -- take your right hand, middle finger, and touch the palm of your left hand, then do the left middle finger into the palm of your right hand -- nail pierced hands -- Jesus. What an awesome way to visualize Who He is! I introduced myself after the service and learned that her name is Megan and she is 11 years old. I thanked her for sharing her "signing" and she told me a little bit about herself.
And then I went down to our LOGOS class where it was prayer and share time (we do this every fourth Sunday) and then pray for each other all during the month. Several of us had brought leftover cake from the night before, so we enjoyed it all over again.
Many of our family are so far away from us and we miss you guys terribly. These friends of ours at Calvary Church have become "family" to us. It's very much like what is described in the New Testament, how folk came to Christ and were united in that love for Him and for each other. I'm so thankful for the love of these friends.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

You wrote that well mom and I am sitting her just picturing all the laughter and fun and smiles that filled you house last night- what a sweet, sweet time. I am glad to hear that it was so much fun! I was thinking about you all yesterday knowing you were going to throughly enjoy your time with all your friends. The same for me is here- how the church family has become family to us. What a blessing it truly is and I am so glad that God has blessed me in this way. Love you Mom!