Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Chapel this morning ...


I attended chapel at Kuyper College this morning ... not with entirely pure motives, but mostly because I wanted to hear Dylan lead in worship. He was delivering the message this morning and I wanted to share in his joy.
This is Dylan's senior year at Kuyper. After he graduates this spring, he hopes to enroll at Calvin's Seminary for his master's degree and then pursue his doctorate somewhere in the arena of Ethics, Philosophy, and Patristics.
Dylan read parts of Hebrews chapter 11 as well as a few verses from chapter 12. Since All Saint's Day is November 1, he focused his thoughts and comments around that remembrance. He reminded his colleagues that just as there were heroes of faith from the Old Testament, there were a host of faithful people who came out of the Early Church as well, people we would be wise to study and to imitate. He summarized the lives of several of these dear followers of Christ.
"By faith these people overthrew kingdoms,
ruled with justice, and received what God promised them.
They shut the mouths of lions, quenched the flames of fire,
and escaped death by the edge of the sword.
Their weakness was turned to strength ...

" ... but others trusted God and were tortured,
preferring to die rather than turn from God and be free.
They placed their hope in the resurrection to a better life ...
" ... some were mocked, and their backs were cut open with whips.
Others were chained in dungeons.
Some died by stoning, and some were sawed in half;
others were killed with the sword.
Some went about in skins of sheep and goats,
hungry and oppressed and mistreated.
THEY WERE TOO GOOD FOR THIS WORLD.
They wandered over deserts and mountains,
hiding in caves and holes in the ground ... "
Hebrews 11: 33-38 NLT

While I was visiting down in Austin at Sabrina's house, she loaned me a series of fiction The Mark of the Lion to read. It's a really compelling story of first century Jews and Christians, and how many of them died violently for their faith in the living Christ. There is a love story woven throughout, but not just between a man and a woman ~ a love story of the Father for all of us! It's been really sobering and challenging to read. It was all or nothing for them. Why isn't it for me? So I am praying and thinking and searching ...
" ... since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd
of witnesses to the life of faith,
let us strip off every weight that slows us down,
especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress.
And let us run with endurance
the race that God has set before us.
We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus,
on whom our faith depends from start to finish.
He was willing to die a shameful death
on the cross because of the joy
he knew would be his afterward.
Now he is seated in the place of highest honor
beside God's throne in heaven."
Hebrews 12:1-2 NLT

6 comments:

Ruthanne said...

Those are such sobering verses, aren't they? We really have no clue growing up in America what Christians even now around the world are going through! India and Iraq are especially bad right now for Christians. We have been so secure and blessed here - but in some respects we are clueless, too. Sometimes I wonder why some people suffer and others, although Christians, never have. I think that ones who suffer are more vibrant believers because of it. Ours is often just so-so.

pjuno said...

Last week walking in the office at 6:00am, I had such a fond memory of our little 'church' time in the morning before we started our day. I was sad once again because of how selfish I am that you are no longer here, but so incredibly thankful for the time our Father in Heaven gave us. I miss you dearly. I am so proud of Dillon as I know you are too. What a wonderful instrument God is using by having Dillon share the GOOD NEWS. Pam

pjuno said...

OOPS. Don't know why it says Uncle Mike. It's me Pam, and I haven't a clue how to change it. LOL.

pjuno said...

Last week walking in the office at 6:00am, I had such a fond memory of our little 'church' time in the morning before we started our day. I was sad once again because of how selfish I am that you are no longer here, but so incredibly thankful for the time our Father in Heaven gave us. I miss you dearly. I am so proud of Dillon as I know you are too. What a wonderful instrument God is using by having Dillon share the GOOD NEWS. Pam

Mom Jones said...

Clueless is a good word, Ruthanne. Whimpy, shallow, uncommitted, self-centered ... it's like we've cheapened so much what it means to follow Christ ~ yes, these verses are very sobering.

Pamela! I'm glad you clarified who Uncle Mike is ... otherwise, I would have been very confused! :)
I miss you, dear friend ... you teach me much about putting love of the Lord into action. Much love to you!

Sabrina said...

Glad you are loving that series Mom. Every time I read it I am challenged again to be a light, to not shrink back or hide, and to be completely obedient no matter the cost! Love you Mom!