Monday, October 6, 2008

A very exotic zoo and safari ...

This is the sign leading into the Exotic Resort Zoo and Safari out in Johnson City. We didn't even know this place existed until Grandpa Jones and I stopped at the Visitor's Center just across the Arkansas border into Texas and picked up a bunch of books and brochures about Texas. We told Sabrina about it yesterday ... she had never heard of this place, and it is only about a 40 minute drive from her house!
There was a really huge petting zoo as soon as you entered the park. We started with that because the open air tram tour wasn't going to start for another 15 minutes ...
The petting zoo had the tiniest and cutest deer, goats, lambs ... but believe me, if I showed you ALL of the pictures I took today, you would be here forever ... so I've narrowed it down to some of the best shots of the kids and the animals and I'll try to tell you a bit about what happened while we were on our adventure here at the exotic zoo ...
The llamas were really trained well. They knew we had food and they just about followed us all over this 137 acre place ...
Llama run faster than I thought they could ... whenever we thought we had gotten far away from them, they would just pick up their speed and come back for more food.
The little kids thought it was pretty cool ... except Karis was a little overwhelmed with the size and aggressiveness of these large animals. She kept running to Sabrina saying, "I scared!"
Isn't she precious? She never cried or anything, and mostly she enjoyed herself hugely ... as long as mommy wasn't too far away!
This place is amazingly beautiful ... I loved the vast open spaces ...
None of the animals were one bit afraid of us ... like I said, we had a bucket of food and we were sharing!
This North American bison was scary to me! Look at his tongue! We designated Sabrina to be the person who fed all of the animals. Grandpa Jones and I were too busy taking pictures ...
Nothing like "up close and personal" huh? It was very cool, though, to be this close to these amazing creatures ...
Sabrina was pretty bold, but even she got a bit squeemish with this big guy ...
These little cattle are from Scotland. The tour guide told us what they were called, but I cannot remember!
One of them kind of snuck up on the side of me just as I turned with my camera ... YIKES! He almost ATE my camera! That was a bit yucky ...
This pretty little llama just would NOT leave us be ... thankfully, none of the llama were spitting today ...
Sabrina and I just cracked up with how close these animals came to us and how persistent they were ...
Karis never did leave the security of Sabrina's legs ...
This animal ... is it a deer? Is it an elk? Well, whatever, the guide said this one's name was Dylan! So I just had to post it up here for the benefit of Dylan James ...
We were warned that the ostrich were very smart and liked to steal the buckets away from folk. So you were supposed to lift the bucket up to their face-level and to hold the bucket tightly; otherwise, they were pretty good at pushing it right out of your hands and then eating all of the food!
I was amazed at how HUGE some of these ostrich were! And they were ALL very friendly ...
We were also told NOT to feed them with our hands because their beaks could be really hurtful to a person's hand ...
Look how this one is staring right at me! It looks like he has something he wants to say ... "more food?"

We had quite a following, didn't we? We had so much fun here today!
And aren't these zebra just so beautiful? Our guide told us to HIDE our bucket from this very sly camel ... she said it would be best to put it under our seats because this camel likes to stick his head in the tram and just make off witt the entire bucket!
Look at how apprehensive Jackson is with this HUGE animal coming this close to HIS mother!

This was definitely a really fun few hours ... I think Jackson was rather pleased, don't you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.