Wednesday, October 1, 2008

37 years ago I was a freshman ...

In the fall of 1971 I "went away" to college ... from the huge motor city, all the way across the state (!) to attend what was then Grand Rapids Baptist College & Seminary, but today is known as Cornerstone University. I drive past my alma mater at least once per week on my way to and from church ~ and lately, that has been 3-4 times per week ... but rarely have I stepped foot on campus! But for a long time now, I have wanted to get a closer look at the clock tower; so after my exercise class today, I took a little walk ...



The 110' W. Wilbert and Meryl Welch Tower was dedicated during homecoming weekend of 2006. It is a four-faced clock that chimes every quarter-hour ... beautiful. I love the Scriptures inscribed above the four arches ...
Hmm ... I love lighthouses, I love windmills, I love wind turbines, and clock towers too ... something about towers in general I guess ...
This little pavilion is built over the exact place where a bell used to hang on a pole ... there is a bell here now too, but a much nicer one. I'm thinking it's still used for the same purpose. You see, if you became engaged while on campus, after your proposal and acceptance of the diamond, you and your fiance' would go and ring the bell together to announce the great news! The reward for being such an idiot as to get engaged while still in college? The guys usually got pitched in the pond in the middle of the night! Whereas the girls snuck into their dormitory, tied the diamond with a ribbon to a candle and we had what was called a "candlelight ceremony," passing around the lit candle with everyone wondering who on earth would blow out the candle, signifying their ownership of the ring as well as the rather cold and wet fellow ...
I actually did have a "candlelight" ceremony during the spring of my sophomore year ... only except I did not receive a diamond (it was an opal instead, with 14 tiny diamonds surrounding it), my fiance' did not get tossed in the pond (because he no longer lived on campus), and I never did marry him!

This is Pickett Hall, where I lived my sophomore year. The sidewalk runs right to my window (the second one from the right). Nothing much has changed about it in all of these years.
It was kind of a melancholy afternoon ... lots of memories here, many happy and some really sad. I remember taking long walks around campus trying to figure out my future and get alone with God all of those years ago. I remember Him meeting me here in a special way, giving me dear friends and a keen awareness of His presence ...
"My times are in Your hands ...let Your face shine on your servant; save me in Your unfailing love." Psalm 31:15a-16 NIV

1 comment:

Thursday said...

"Being such an idiot as to get engaged while still in college"...haha! The wisdom of age (as in, any age much past college)! :)